Re: Space Renaissance

Adriano

Aug 26, 2010, 6:47:17 AM8/26/10
to Ziolo, Paul, space-renaissa...@googlegroups.com, sri-philoso...@googlegroups.com
Dear Paul,

I begun to study your excellent paper, the chapter 12 of your book in
progress.
It is really a great piece of work, and it will greatly help the SRI
elaboration!
Having read the first part of the paper, and before walking the line to
the deeper explanation of discontinuities resolutions, I would humbly
submit hereafter few questions and comments, with the hope that they
will not upset the author, and maybe could be of some use.

For the SRI members who will read this message, here's the link to the
Paul's paper:
http://www.spacerenaissance.org/papers/PaulZiolo_Futures.pdf
All members interested to this discussion are kindly invited to join the
philosophy chapter, since we don't want to bore the ones who think that
philosophic discussions are useless ( :-) ):
http://groups.google.com/group/sri-philosophy-chapter

1) REFERENCES
Talking about the evolutionary path-history, I read that you consider:
- life as an emerging property of matter
- intelligence, an emerging property of life
I find some similitudes with the work of some authors, and was curious
to know if you consider them not relevant for your study, or maybe you
didn't yet approach their works.
I am specifically talking about two authors.

One is Robert M. Pirsig (author of "Zen and the Art of Motorbike
Maintenance", and "Lila, an inquiry into morality"). RMP is better
known, by his students, as the father of the Methaphysics of Quality, a
very interesting field of study.
However, Pirsig talks about four evolutionary levels: inorganic,
organic, social and intellectual.
Each level develops its own moral code, that is in conflict with the
previous layer's one.
The only Pirsig's limit, from my astronautic humanistic point of view,
is to be pre-copernican. When he comes to the next evolutionary step
(however he maintains that the intellectual layer didn't yet win over
the social one...) he seems to be rather confused. He talks about the
big metropolitan areas as a kind of gestalt super-being. But he's not
sure of that, and doesn't like it so much...
However his whole discourse about quality, static quality and dynamic
quality, is really great.
As to astronautics, RMP is still alive, he has time! ( :-) ).

The second one is Krafft A. Ehricke, one of the collabroators of Werber
Von Braun, the fathers of NASA.
KAE developped a fantastic series of papers, titled "The
Extraterrestrial Imperative".
Marsha Freeman recently collected such papers in a book, that can be
purchased online.
Dr. Ehricke talks about "steps of industrialization of life". The first
step was life migration from the sea to earth. His path lists different
steps, up to the current age, the one he defined "methabolism of
information". Note that he passed away in 1984, when nobody was writing
any sociological analysis and nonsenses about the internet.
I think KAE, with Gerard O'Neill, and Konstantin Tsiolkowsky many
decades before, wre the forerunners of astronautic humanism.

2) HYDROGEN
"The necessity of switching to another base resource (e.g. hydrogen, as
advocated by Rifkin (2003))"
Hydrogen is not a base resource, since it doesn't exist in nature.
Hydrogen can be considered a way to store energy (not the safest,
however), since the production of hydrogen by electrolysis requires
energy in input.
Space Based Solar Power will be an excellent alternative, both for
supplying energy to Earth's and space users.

3) GROWTH
"…impassioned polemics against growth are exercises in futility today.
Worse, they may even point in the wrong direction…"
Agree. But I would ask you if the concept of growth is considered a key
concept or not, by psychohistory.
For astronautic humanism it is the very key concept.
Should we accept the future suggested by the many theoreticians of the
"happy decrease" (there is not such a foolish thing, there will be only
a nightmare decrease!), humans wouldn't need to expand into space, and
the K1 - K2 transition would never occur.
The growth is the indispensable platform for peace, democracy, freedom,
ethics.
In a sum zero game we can only regress to an animal-status stage.
The above is sadly uncomprised by the residual 900's political
ideologies: leftists don't care about growth (since their social base is
not daily compared to the market), while right wingers are usually
devoted to self-interest philosophies, and only incidentally their
entrepreneurial initiatives support growth...
Does the category of awake entrepreneurs exist?
The above will be crucial for the K1-K2 transition...

4) OVERPOPULATION
As a neo-humanist, I strongly disagree with the use of this term.
It reflects a still superficial approach to the demographic matter, one
of the very key matters of the current crisis-transition.
Overopulation is a malthusian category.
I am strongly against, and invite any sincere anthropologist to study
the work of Julian Simon (author of "People, the ultimate resource").
Persons are never a problem, they are resources.
Being almost seven billion, humanity was never so rich before.
We wouldn't be at this transition edge, if we were a lower number.
To consider people as "mouth to be feeded" is a very oldwise
bureaucratic thought, that denies the simple fact that, over each mouth,
there's a fantastic brain, result of million years both natural and
self-driven (cultural) evolution!
The capability to use such a great unprecedented patrimony is in our
hands: should we fail, it will be our ruin.
But if we will open the system, and give birtn to a Solar Civilization,
then our number will be very insufficient, for the huge social and
scientific tasks that will arise!
And it is not sure however if our current number was enough or not, as
an intellectual platform, for the transition... but we can do nothing
more than try, as best as we can.
Maybe a couple of variables should be added to the Number of galactic
civilizations formula:
a) the size of the planet where an intelligent form of life develops
b) the size of the beings (the bigger the size, the fewer the beings)
The above leads to consider also the size of the brain, a condition for
development of a superior collaborative intelligence...
Mice maybe could be enough as a numeric platform, but they would be too
small?

4) STRATEGY
"The prevalent New Age dream of a 'great spiritual awakening' that lies
just round the corner - i.e., if we all just 'have faith', focus,
meditate and strive as individuals to live in an eco-conscious way, we
will somehow suddenly wake up some Monday morning all 'loving each
other' - is an unlikely prospect."
Agree. You also write that -- if I well understand -- that a wide and
articulated education program could get the goal of rising the needed
awareness, but it would require too much time.
And, I want to add, we don't have all of this time.
The windows for completing the transition -- the space renaissance --
will quickly close in few decades.
The sixt Kondratiev cycle (the GRAIN one) will never occur, and
civilization will implode.
Having said the above, what could be a suitable strategy, to ignite a
process of general awakening? Not the mystic New Age's one, of course, I
am talking about the awareness of the absolute urgence of the K1-K2
transition, and the very need to consciously drive the process, since it
requires huge investments and a fully new socio-economic paradigm.
I believe -- and I will strongly propose this approach in our first
congress -- Space Renaissance International should go outside on
newspapers and media with a very wide and string campaign.
We can do it, if we will have enough donations.
So our main work, now that the association was made, is to collect
donations, building a virtuous sytem to systematically collect money.
Then, even the simple name of Space Renaissance can move the cosciences
and build awareness...

I will write more after completing the study of your paper.

Paul, I am very honoured and happy to have get in touch with you!
(thanks to the noticing made by Martin Dudziak).

All the very Best
Adriano

--
Adriano V. Autino

Space Renaissance Initiative - President - http://www.spacerenaissance.org/
Technologies of the Frontier - President - http://www.tdf.it/
Author of the book "La Terra non è malata: è incinta!"
] e-mail: a...@tdf.it
] skype : adriano_autino
] linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/adrianoautino
] tel. : +39.0161.433688 - cell. +39.335.8244435
] addr. : via Borgomasino, 25A 13040 Moncrivello (VC)
This e-mail has been scanned for any known virus by
AVG Antivirus.

Keith Henson

Aug 26, 2010, 11:03:00 AM8/26/10
to sri-philoso...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 3:47 AM, Adriano <a...@tdf.it> wrote:
> Dear Paul,

snip

> 2) HYDROGEN
> "The necessity of switching to another base resource (e.g. hydrogen, as
> advocated by Rifkin (2003))"
> Hydrogen is not a base resource, since it doesn't exist in nature.
> Hydrogen can be considered a way to store energy (not the safest, however),
> since the production of hydrogen by electrolysis requires energy in input.
> Space Based Solar Power will be an excellent alternative, both for supplying
> energy to Earth's and space users.

If you want hydrogen to be easy to handle, attach it to carbon. We
have a long history of dealing with hydrocarbons. Among other places
you can get carbon out of the air for about 2% of the energy cost of
making hydrogen. The economics are that one cent per kWh electric
power can be converted into dollar a gallon liquid fuels. This is
existing technology, a plant costing a billion dollars that make
34,000 bbls per day is in service in Qatar.

snip

> 4) OVERPOPULATION
> As a neo-humanist, I strongly disagree with the use of this term.

There is only "over" in terms of the resources available.

The solar system as a whole could support tens of trillions in a state
of luxury almost unbelievable. However, the *Earth* at it's current
state of technology is close to the limit, perhaps well over the
sustainable limit. That can be fixed with engineering. There are at
least two energy projects that scale into the tens of TW and produce
energy at such low cost that they would simply displace fossil fuels
on price alone.

Will the energy problem be solved? Hard to say, our current short
time horizons for business models makes it questionable.

snip

Keith

PS. Given my background (L5 Society) you may be disturbed that I no
longer think humans will go into space in a significant way. The
short reason is that I think friendly AIs will eat our brains. The
long explanation is here
http://www.terasemjournals.org/GN0202/henson.html