Preparing for winter - Clean-Up Day on Nov. 5th

Lauren Farina

Oct 18, 2011, 4:42:38 PM10/18/11
to Squirrel Brand Community Garden
Hello Gardeners!  Please read below about winter clean-up info and plot assignments for 2012.

Join your fellow gardeners for a Winter Clean-Up Day on Saturday November 5th, at noon.
Prepare our plots for winter, renew plots for next year, tidy up the park, and brainstorm ideas for the spring. Rain date 11/12.

It's not over yet, but I would like to thank everyone for all your hard work this season.  The garden looked amazing and it's clear that folks have really invested their time and energy not just into maintaining, but also making improvements to their plots - improvements that will benefit our neighbors for years to come.  I also think now that we have had more chances to meet up, we should start planning some more activities for the spring - let's start on the 5th!

Winter Clean Up Deadline - Nov. 15th
All dead annuals, cornstalks, stakes, tomato cages, and other items must be removed by this date. Perennials, and overwintering are welcome.

As you clean up for the winter, please do your part to dispose of garden waste properly!
  • Be sure not to overfill the round yard waste barrels or they will be too heavy to carry to the curb.
  • Use paper yard waste bags (available at hardware stores) for additional garden waste and bring them to the curb on Wed. or Thurs. nights for city pick-up.  (Those bags will fall apart if left in the rain)
  • Do not put any waste in the composters, especially dry or woody material - they are full and some is ready to use.
  • If you are unsure of where to put garden waste, or you need help, please ask.
Plot Assignments for Next Year
Notify me as soon as you decide whether you will return next year.  I will do my best to confirm with everyone individually, but if I can't contact you, I will eventually have to assume you no longer want your plot.  Please let me know even if you are not keeping the plot.

If it is your 3rd year, your plot will be reassigned
to a new gardener in 2012 - please let me know if you would like to rejoin the wait list or have any questions about this.

Thank you all and see you on the 5th!

Best,
Lauren

Lauren Farina

Nov 1, 2011, 11:55:51 AM11/1/11
to Squirrel Brand Community Garden
Hello!
Just a reminder about our winter clean-up day this Saturday, Nov. 5th at noon.  I hope to see you there.  It should be sunny, but I will bring something hot to drink to help keep us warm.

If you can't make it, please remember that you must clean up your plot by Nov. 15th - see below for details.

Best,
Lauren

Alice Gugelmann

Nov 28, 2011, 10:07:49 AM11/28/11
to Squirrel Brand Community Garden
Hello gardeners!

I am looking for a pruning pole (a saw on a pole) to trim off dead branches at the Cambridgeport school on Wednesday. If you have one and can share, please let me know - thanks!

Alice
(CitySprouts plots at Squirrel Brand)