DBR

Terrence Brannon

Dec 3, 2009, 8:14:25 AM12/3/09
to imp...@cpan.org, squatting-framework
Hi Daniel, I looked over your presentation
<http://code.google.com/p/perl-dbr/wiki/DBRPresentation> on your ORM
named 'DBR' <http://search.cpan.org/~impious/DBR-1.0.7rc6/>

and have a few comments:

1 - how do you choose LEFT versus INNER joins using DBR?

2 - You say that other ORMs do not manage hostnames ,usernames,
passwords, but
(a) I'm sure that Rose::Conf does this, because I had to do it
(b) I personally feel that an ORM should not manage hostnames, usernames
and passwords --- that is application configuration information and
belongs in a configuration module, not in an object-relational mapper.

Why do you think that an ORM should handle hostnames, usernames and
passwords? Just imagine if you had multiple languages processing a
database --- instead of a central set of database connection
configuration files, each language would have their own copy of the same
data. And should there be a change, that data would have to be changed
in each place instead of one place.

Regards,
Terrence