Pod::Server as local wiki

Terrence Brannon

May 13, 2009, 12:55:06 PM5/13/09
to squatting...@googlegroups.com
I need to type up some docs for a tree of .pm and .pl files I have created...

Pod::Server says it is for locally installed packages... these packages do not go in /usr/lib/* ... they are part of my local directory tree

I want to be able to do something like this:

cd ~tbrannon/Post
pod-server --pod-files-in=.  --also-index-usr-lib-local

and then visit port 8080 (or whatever) on the local webserver to view all my docs

And I'm wondering if I make links to CPAN modules, if they will link to search.cpan.org instead of my local wiki...

although most of the ones I will be referring to are locally installed, in fact, all of them are.

beppu

May 14, 2009, 2:56:47 PM5/14/09
to squatting-framework
On May 13, 9:55 am, Terrence Brannon <metap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to type up some docs for a tree of .pm and .pl files I have
> created...
>
> Pod::Server says it is for locally installed packages... these packages do
> not go in /usr/lib/* ... they are part of my local directory tree
>
> I want to be able to do something like this:
>
> cd ~tbrannon/Post
> pod-server --pod-files-in=.  --also-index-usr-lib-local

One quick way to get it to serve your local POD is to modify the
PERL5LIB environment variable before you run pod_server.

cd ~tbrannon/Post
export PERL5LIB=. # this replaces the hypothetical --pod-files-in=.
pod_server

> And I'm wondering if I make links to CPAN modules, if they will link to
> search.cpan.org instead of my local wiki...
>
> although most of the ones I will be referring to are locally installed, in
> fact, all of them are.

Currently, if it can't find a perl module, it'll give you a page that
says it couldn't find it. I could make it fall back on CPAN in those
cases, but that's something new I'd have to write.

--beppu

Terrence Brannon

Jun 18, 2009, 9:31:11 AM6/18/09

beppu wrote:
One quick way to get it to serve your local POD is to modify the
PERL5LIB environment variable before you run pod_server.

cd ~tbrannon/Post
export PERL5LIB=.    # this replaces the hypothetical --pod-files-in=.

export PERL5LIB=`pwd` # this works. '.' does not

This is great John. Very nice looking POD for my local docs. I'm going to miss seeing you at YAPC::NA.

We have a July 1 rollout deadline and I dont think I can get time off!