Scenario OAF 3.1 Valley of Death

Scott B

Apr 1, 2024, 3:22:31 PMApr 1
to Squad Leader AARs

VALLEY OF DEATH

ON ALL FRONTS SCENARIO 3.1, CROSS OF IRON

AFTER ACTION REPORT

01_031_Atlas.png 02_CHM_20-230_Map_7.png

Map 1 link and Map 2 link.

HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

Near Kharkov, 7 August 1943.

Operation Rumyantsev (a.k.a. Rumiantsev).

The Germans were surprised by the ability of the Soviets to shift over to the offense in August, only two weeks after the German withdrawal from Kursk.  Von Manstein was so confident of the Soviet inability to mount an offensive, he dispatched most of his armored reserves southward to deal with Soviet offensives across the Dnieper and Mius Rivers into the Donbas region.  These offensives succeeded in their intention, which was to draw German reserves away from the most critical Kharkov axis, where the principal Soviet offensive effort was planned.

On 3 August, the Voronezh and Steppe Fronts launched the new offensive, Operation Rumyantsev, toward Kharkov.  The attack showed a more sophisticated Soviet army, with division artillery specialized in supporting attacking infantry in addition to others attacking long-range German reserve positions.  All of this was needed to break the tenacious German defenses.  The Germans counterattacked with the SS Panzer divisions and fought the Soviets to a draw over the next several days.  For the first time, a major German counterattack had failed to destroy a Soviet exploitation force.  On 28 August, Kharkov fell to the Soviets, marking an end to the Battle of Kursk and the beginning of the Soviet summer-fall campaign.

The Russian 5th Guards Tank Army lost 420 tanks in three days of fighting to recapture Kharkov.

“Russian Combat Methods of World War II” has a narrative of the action, pages 47-51.

RESOURCES

Cebula, Jeff.  “Valley of Death.” ON ALL FRONTS, January, 1983.

https://storage.googleapis.com/archivesqlt/BMA00301A.pdf

Department of the Army. “Russian Combat Methods of World War II.”  No 20-230.  1950. Pages 47-51.

https://storage.googleapis.com/archivesqlt/Publications/CMH_Pub/CMH%20Pub%2020-230%20Russian%20Combat%20Methods.pdf#page=47

https://archive.org/details/Dapam20-230/page/n113/mode/2up?ref=ol&view=theater

“Belgorod-Kharkov Offensive Operation”.  Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belgorod-Kharkov_Offensive_Operation

Glantz, David M. “When Titans Clashed” University of Kansas.  1998.  Pg 168.

https://archive.org/details/whentitansclashe00glan_0/whentitansclashe00glan_0

Waddell, Steve R.  “Drive to the Dnieper:  The Soviet 1943 Summer Campaign”.  Kansas State University.  1985.  Pages 68-70.

https://krex.k-state.edu/bitstream/handle/2097/27570/LD2668T41985W32.pdf?sequence=1

INITIAL SETUP

The Axis player is Mike.

The Allied player is Brian.

Game B of the SQLA Valley of Death Tournament.

img01.png

Russian Comments

The scenario intro indicated the Russians used a huge wedge formation as they approached the Germans. My off-board setup tried to replicate that.  So it was a wide setup without a specific point of emphasis or strength. Balancing the speed of the T-34s, the heavy armor of the KVs, and the firepower of the SUs.

German Comments

Above is the German setup including boresights. I placed most of the boresights at locations I thought the Russians would pause at since they are behind a wall (i.e., hull down).  However, the Russian commander was too seasoned to fall for that trick, and consequently none of my AFV boresights were used.  The Germans' approach was to use the high ground until such time it was untenable (i.e., Russians either flanking the positions or amassing too close).  And, the ground-pounders were spread out to try to fill any gaps among the armor.  Finally, I placed the 9-2 captain with the MMG up front in order to make the Russians think twice about unbuttoning as they approached my positions.

TURNS ONE AND TWO

img02.png

Russian Comments

This is a battle of fire and maneuver.  The Germans fire, and the Russians maneuver.  That's it.

 Although unrealistic per Russian mass attack, my AFVs tried to find cover as best they could for the most-deadly German Prep Fire, simply applying probably of hit as determining factors.  A hit = a kill for the German monsters. Tanks will be lost, crews killed, but the momentum and  aggressive nature must be maintained.  Russians don't yet know where their main effort will be.  The Tiger BX'ing its gun helps, but is not a backbreaker for the German

German Comments

For the first two turns, with the exception of the Nashorn, the Germans were having difficulty hitting and/or killing their targets.  They only had 8 kills to show for roughly 20 shots, which is a 40 percent kill rate.  With the Russians advancing very aggressively, this rate of attrition did not bode well for the SS.  As you can see, the Germans have already had to pull the central Tiger back due to the flanking SU-85.  And, to top things off, you'll notice one of the Tigers managed to break their main armament after only two shots.  But, this guy manages to redeem himself later in the battle.  One final point is the Russians are really focusing on the Panther which makes me concerned about a Russian breakthrough in the southern portion of my line.

TURN THREE

img03.png

Russian Comments

By this time the Russians committed to exiting the bulk of the force Hill 528 at the bottom of the mapboard.  But how many will actually make it?  The lumbering KVs take a long time to get anywhere, and their armor hasn't really saved them from anything.  Granted being at the end of the column they are targeted last.  Russians are still just looking for hiding places as they continue the march westward.

German Comments

The Soviets continue with their aggressive armored assault, focusing the bulk of their forces in the southern sector.  At the battle's mid-way point, the SS have managed to kill a total of 11 Russian tanks and SPGs, which corresponds to roughly a 37 percent kill-to-shot ratio.  Things are getting a bit desperate for the Gerries; in fact, the Panther has resorted to intensive fire, which surprisingly worked out for him – scoring two kills.  And, with his main gun permanently disabled, Tiger B has taken on a new role as a heavily armored mobile pill-box.  Oh, and one more fun fact: it was around this point the Germans rolled box cars on a TK of 11L. And, this is just one of two times this occurred in the battle!

TURN FOUR

img04.png

Russian Comments

By this time the Russians committed to exiting the bulk of the force near Hill 528 at the bottom of the mapboard.  But how many will actually make it?  In the end it is all up to the dice.  The Germans will get their shots, and the Russians will try to maximize DRMs. Tactics are simply trying to maximize probability of survival and getting off the board.

German Comments

Things are getting very dynamic at this point, with the Russians exiting two vehicles off the southern road and in the process of exiting at least one more off the northern road.  The Germans are frantically re-positioning their forces to try to stop the Soviet exodus.  It seems every shot now is a must-kill.  With an additional 5 Russian vehicles destroyed, the Germans' kill rate remains around 40 percent – just enough to keep the battle's outcome uncertain.  Note, I  placed the rolling pill-box in the southern road asa last-ditch attempt to stall the Russians, which became a critical, battle-defining move unbeknownst at the time to the German commander.

TURN FIVE

img05.png

Russian Comments

As mentioned earlier, it is all about the dice. Yes, a KV was immobilized trying to rubble a wood building. The chances of immobilization were less than the chances of a German kill, but of course the dice have their say. If successful, that tank had a very good chance of making it off the board.  So now it really becomes desperation time, but still I think the odds are still in my favor based on the dice rolls needed.  Is up to the dice.  I am able to knock out the Tiger that forgot where he was..helping ease the VC to exiting 5 x tanks.  Of course I hadn't looked at the VC in quite a while..I was playing as if destroying a German vehicle counted as 2 x vehicles off... wrong!

German Comments

So, here's where things get really interesting. The Russians decide to maneuver around my Tiger roadblock, but in the process end up getting immobilized.  So, with 4 Russian tanks exited and only 1 mobile tank left, the Germans are about to crack open a beer stein or two in victory.

BUT, they realize that same armored roadblock is now presenting a nice, juicy target to the two remaining Russian tanks!  And, as expected, the Tiger gets dispatched very quickly resulting in a big ball of flame and smoke.  The burning Tiger wreck did not last very long, though, which was crucial for the German effort since the Russians could not use its smoke as cover for their remaining tank's exit.  The SS positioned their remaining units in locations they felt provided their best opportunity to stop the last tank from exiting.  But, in the process, inadvertently gave the immobilized KV a shot to kill another German tank, specifically the remaining Tiger on the central hill.  It turned out, though, the Tiger needed to be right where he was …

TURN SIX

img06.png

Russian Comments

Thanks Mike for a tense battle. Nice job maintaining good coverage of the exits and keeping fire-lanes for the big guns!

German Comments

So, at this point, all the Soviets need to do is either exit the last mobile tank off the board and/or kill the remaining Tiger.  The KV hits but the Tiger's armor saves the day –or now– for the Gerries.  Now, it's up to the Russians to get their T-34 off the map.  The experienced tank  commander directs the driver to move through the woods, which is actually the safest route available.  Although the T-34 navigates the woods without immobilizing, the Tiger lines up his sights and scores a needed hit and subsequent kill.  BUT, all is not lost for the valiant Russians! Their intrepid crews make a last-ditch assault on the Panther! Although they survive all  defensive fire and pass their respective PAAMCs, they just couldn't take the German tank out (needed a TK of 3, but rolled a 4!).

I'd like to thank Brian for making it one of the most intense, nail-biting SL battles I had the pleasure to be a part of.

Scott B

Apr 1, 2024, 4:22:34 PMApr 1
to Squad Leader AARs
An easier to read PDF.
Scenario OAF 3.1 Valley of Death AAR.pdf