New Gerald API

1 view

Andy Todd

May 29, 2009, 7:48:32 AM5/29/09
to sqlp...@googlegroups.com
All,

I've finished the first draft of the new Gerald schema model
representation. It is documented on the project wiki here:

http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/halfcooked/wiki/GeraldApi

Please note that the page only contains attributes at the moment as they
are the only thing that is changing in this release. I'll add method
signatures as and when I get a chance.

As SQLPython is likely to be a key consumer of this information I'd like
your feedback on the proposed model before it is set in concrete.

I have started changing the code to use this model but welcome feedback
at any time.

Regards,
Andy
--
From the desk of Andrew J Todd esq - http://www.halfcooked.com/

Catherine Devlin

May 29, 2009, 2:32:54 PM5/29/09
to sqlp...@googlegroups.com
Andy,

It looks beautiful! As far as I can see, it's exactly what we need -
we can navigate it consistently and get our metadata easily. I can't
wait for the implementation! (But I will wait.) Feel free to ask for
labor help if you want it.

In other good news, cx_Oracle 5.0.2 now reports the location of a SQL
error within the submitted query. I'm getting everything I want this
month! This will allow sqlpython to indicate where an error occurred,
as SQL*Plus does - that's been a shortfall that's been driving me
crazy. Expect that in sqlpython 1.6.6, sometime in the next several
days.

The new Gerald will allow serious cross-RDBMS functionality in
sqlpython 1.7, so start stockpiling beverages now for the 1.7 release
parties that will surely sweep the globe. Please, no overturning
police cars.

Finally, I noticed that I accidentally broke Python 2.4 compatibility
sometime recently. I'm restoring that for 1.6.6. (Many DBAs are on
machines with a very non-cutting-edge Python version.)

Thanks again, Andy!

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 7:48 AM, Andy Todd <and...@halfcooked.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I've finished the first draft of the new Gerald schema model
> representation. It is documented on the project wiki here:
>
> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/halfcooked/wiki/GeraldApi

--
- Catherine
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/
*** PyOhio * July 25-26, 2009 * pyohio.org ***