Towards SQLLine release 1.6.0

Julian Hyde

Nov 6, 2018, 2:26:08 PM11/6/18
to sqlline-dev
SQLLine 1.5 was only two months ago but there have been massive
improvements since then:
* Upgrade to jline3 (and therefore interactive search of command
history, including multi-line commands, using emacs- and vi-style
keywords);
* Multi-line parsing including smart detection of state (inside
quotes, inside parentheses, inside comment) and a continuation prompt
that indicates that state;
* New properties 'colorScheme', 'maxHistoryRows',
'maxHistoryFileRows', 'escapeOutput'
* Drop support for older JDKs; SQLLine now requires Java 8 or higher.

Is it time for a release? What time scale should we aim for? (I'd love
to include it in the next Calcite release, in the next 2 weeks or so.)

There are currently 2 open PRs (#187 and #70). Any other issues we
should hold the release for?

It's time we started to act more like a democracy. Similar to ASF
rules, I propose that we require a majority of 3 +1 votes from
committers for a release. (That is, 3 more +1 votes than -1 votes.
Committers are listed on the home page:
https://github.com/julianhyde/sqlline.)

Julian

Sergey Nuyanzin

Nov 6, 2018, 2:45:36 PM11/6/18
to sqlline-dev
+1 for a new release.
However I am not sure about 2 weeks (may be ok, but 3 weeks look more comfortable)
Besides mentioned issues I would like to finish #190 and #183 and one more improvement related to !indexes command which fails on Hive (still not created an issue for that)

Arina Yelchiyeva

Nov 7, 2018, 7:06:42 AM11/7/18
to snuy...@gmail.com, sqlli...@googlegroups.com
+1 for the release.