Towards SQLLine release 1.12.0

Julian Hyde

Oct 28, 2021, 9:24:45 PM10/28/21
to sqlline-dev
Charles has pointed out that #444 is a show-stopper - people can't use
SQLLine on Apple M1. I think we should make a release in the next few
days.

Sergey, how would you like to divide up work? I'm happy to be release
manager if you can get review and merge some PRs. Or you could be
release manager; you could make the release commit, including writing
the release notes, although I think I'll have to make the push to
maven central.

When we have an RC, I'd be grateful if a few other people can test it and vote.

Julian

Charles Givre

Oct 28, 2021, 9:25:37 PM10/28/21
to Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
I'm happy to help test as well.
Best,
-- C

Charles Givre
Founder, CEO DataDistillr
Phone:
GitHubBook a Meeting 30 min 60 min
LinkedInLinkedIn @cgivre
GitHubGitHub @cgivre

Sergey Nuyanzin

Oct 29, 2021, 11:11:51 AM10/29/21
to Charles Givre, Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
From my side I'm happy to review and merge PRs
also i can prepare release notes and a release commit.

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Julian Hyde

Oct 29, 2021, 1:54:35 PM10/29/21
to sqlline-dev
Thanks, Sergey.

I think you could also send the “[VOTE]” email. Unlike ASF, we don’t vote on source or binary artifacts, just on a GitHub commit, so you can start and finish the vote before I push any artifacts to Sonatype/Maven Central.

Sergey Nuyanzin

Oct 29, 2021, 2:38:56 PM10/29/21
to Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
yes, sure, you are right
I will do it

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Julian Hyde

Nov 3, 2021, 1:51:22 AM11/3/21
to sqlline-dev
Sergey, How's the release going? Is there anything I can do to help?

Sergey Nuyanzin

Nov 3, 2021, 2:38:34 AM11/3/21
to Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
Hi Julian
I merged almost all PRs
this one is questionable about jbang  https://github.com/julianhyde/sqlline/pull/430
Do you think it makes sense to have it sqlline?

Meanwhile I have a prepared release notes and will go to commit it to branch to review

--
Best regards,
Sergey

julia...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2021, 2:48:55 AM11/3/21
to Sergey Nuyanzin, Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
I’d skip the jbang PR. I’ve not heard of jbang. If it’s not a major platform, we’re adding complexity if we support it.

By the way, I noticed there is a Debian package based on a very old version of SQLLine. If we want to make SQLLine easier to install the Debian package is where we should spend our cycles, rather than jbang. It would be great if people could just type ‘sudo apt install sqlline’.

Sergey Nuyanzin

Nov 3, 2021, 3:52:24 AM11/3/21
to James Turton, Julian Hyde, Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
Thanks James, Julian
I've logged that issue at https://github.com/julianhyde/sqlline/issues/457

regarding SQLLine release 1.12.0
I've done with release commit to sqlline-1.12.0 branch

I will start voting based on GitHub commit shortly

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 7:54 AM James Turton <dz...@apache.org> wrote:
Hi Sergey and Julian

I already do a small bit of Debian package maintenance in the Debian Science team.  I'm now overdue to return to that and do some updates.  If you'd like I can contact the Debian Java team when I do, and see if I can upload an updated sqlline package...

James Turton
Apache Drill committer

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Sergey Nuyanzin

Nov 3, 2021, 4:44:30 AM11/3/21
to Julian Hyde, James Turton, Julian Hyde, Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
Julian, could you please clarify a question
should I start voting based on code in branch (branch-1.12)
or first commit to master and then start voting based on code in master?

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Julian Hyde <jhyde....@gmail.com> wrote:
James,

That would be excellent. A Debian package will have a huge impact. Thanks for your help.

Julian

--
Best regards,
Sergey

Julian Hyde

Nov 3, 2021, 1:47:12 PM11/3/21
to sqlline-dev
Branch or no branch - either is fine.

In the past we've released from main branch (former master), paused commits to main during the release, and created a branch and tag after the release. In future, perhaps we can stop making the branches, but let's not change the process right now.

Sergey Nuyanzin

Nov 3, 2021, 3:36:33 PM11/3/21
to Julian Hyde, sqlline-dev
ok ,thanks for clarification