Is this project still alive?

gbtami

Feb 27, 2016, 2:08:42 AM2/27/16
to sqlkit
?

Alessandro Dentella

Feb 27, 2016, 10:18:39 AM2/27/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Feb 26, 2016 at 02:45:02PM -0800, gbtami wrote:
> ?

not really. I'm the author and I still use it and make all necessary
changes to keep it working with new SQLAlchemy releases, but don't
expect much more.

Don't base a project on this, but it you just want a tool to inspect
databases this is in my (biased...) opinion still a winner in many
circumstances.

sandro
*:-)

Pietro Battiston

Feb 27, 2016, 7:25:43 PM2/27/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno sab, 27/02/2016 alle 16.18 +0100, Alessandro Dentella ha
scritto:
gbtami, in case you are searching for mask/table widgets for gtk, you
may want to steal some code from
http://www.pietrobattiston.it/gitweb?p=quack.git/.git;a=blob;f=quack_li
b/widgets.py (you should be able to just use files "widgets.py" and
"basic_widgets.py" with ORM classes inherited from "QuackItem" in
"quack_db/quack_item.py"). Compared to sqlkit, this is really
_extremely_ limited in scope, but it runs with Python3 and Gtk+ 3, and
can be more easily embedded in other Gtk+ widgets. Although I don't
plan to extend this set of widgets, I do regularly use, and sometimes
extend, the program itself, so I will be happy to fix bugs.

(If you are looking for a stand-alone tool to inspect/browse databases,
then this is of no utility.)

Pietro

gbtami

Feb 28, 2016, 8:45:45 AM2/28/16
to sqlkit
Pietro, thx for sharing your code! I will look into soon.
Telling the truth I'm looking for a lib I can use to port our proprietary
desktop payroll/tax app from Foxpro (dos!) to Python+SqlAlchemy.
I'm hesitating between Qt and Gtk now. Former has QtAlchemy
latter SqlKit, but both seems unmaintained for years :(
Btw. why don't you and Sandro join your forces to bring SqlKit
up to date (Python3, Gtk3, SqlAlchemy)?

gbtami

Feb 28, 2016, 8:45:54 AM2/28/16
to sqlkit
Hi Sandro!

Why don't you migrate your project to GitHub to let others contribute more easily?
As Pietro code shows there is interest to use something in Python3 and Gtk3+ days.
I'm one of the developers of PyChess. We ported it last year, so I can help in this
process.

Alessandro Dentella

Feb 28, 2016, 8:54:33 AM2/28/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 01:32:23AM -0800, gbtami wrote:
> Pietro, thx for sharing your code! I will look into soon.
> Telling the truth I'm looking for a lib I can use to port our
> proprietary
> desktop payroll/tax app from Foxpro (dos!) to Python+SqlAlchemy.
> I'm hesitating between Qt and Gtk now. Former has QtAlchemy
> latter SqlKit, but both seems unmaintained for years :(
> Btw. why don't you and Sandro join your forces to bring SqlKit
> up to date (Python3, Gtk3, SqlAlchemy)?

Pietro has worked in this project already, and is the mantainer of the
ubuntu package.

My problem is I don't have any spare time. I have a lot of project
currently in development that have priority over sqlkit.

I'm more than willing to move sqlkit to github, if that could people
taking over it's development.

If you would like to port it to gtk3/py3 I'd be really happy to give
you my support and my help in testing it. But really I couldn't lead
that phase.

sandro
*:-)

--
Sandro Dentella *:-)
http://www.reteisi.org Soluzioni libere per le scuole

gbtami

Feb 28, 2016, 12:25:08 PM2/28/16
to sqlkit
OK let's give it a try!
I think you don't want to loose your commit history, so first question
is there any public repo I can import from to start on GitHub?

gbtami

Feb 28, 2016, 12:25:08 PM2/28/16
to sqlkit
OK, let's give it a try!

I think you don't want to loose your commit history, so
the first question is there any public repo I can import from
to start on a new GitHub project?

Pietro Battiston

Feb 28, 2016, 2:50:55 PM2/28/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
Il giorno dom, 28/02/2016 alle 14.54 +0100, Alessandro Dentella ha
scritto:
> On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 01:32:23AM -0800, gbtami wrote:
> >    Pietro, thx for sharing your code! I will look into soon.
> >    Telling the truth I'm looking for a lib I can use to port our
> >    proprietary
> >    desktop payroll/tax app from Foxpro (dos!) to Python+SqlAlchemy.
> >    I'm hesitating between Qt and Gtk now. Former has QtAlchemy
> >    latter SqlKit, but both seems unmaintained for years :(
> >    Btw. why don't you and Sandro join your forces to bring SqlKit
> >    up to date (Python3, Gtk3, SqlAlchemy)?
>
> Pietro has worked in this project already, and is the mantainer of
> the
> ubuntu package.
>
> My problem is I don't have any spare time. I have a lot of project
> currently in development that have priority over sqlkit.
>
> I'm more than willing to move sqlkit to github, if that could people
> taking over it's development.
>
> If you would like to port it to gtk3/py3 I'd be really happy to give
> you my support and my help in testing it. But really I couldn't lead
> that phase.

On the other hand, I did spend a little bit of effort in trying to port
sqlkit to Gtk3, but given the complexity of the software it was well
beyond my possibilities, and this is why I rewrote from scratch a
couple of much simpler widgets. I clearly took inspiration from sqlkit,
but the code may not have much in common, and there are even a couple
of design differences.

Pietro

Alessandro Dentella

Mar 1, 2016, 4:43:55 PM3/1/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 09:19:34AM -0800, gbtami wrote:
> OK, let's give it a try!
> I think you don't want to loose your commit history, so
> the first question is there any public repo I can import from
> to start on a new GitHub project?

Correct. I'll do it. My only concern is that I'm a mercurial guy, so
I'd be more confortable with bitbucket.

The fastest way has been to push to bitbucket:

https://bitbucket.org/sqlkit/sqlkit/

sandro
*:-)

PS: I know that at the moment the documentation is broken. That
dependes on the fact that I used a bridge to use mako templates
that I used at the time (the same guy that wrote SqlAlchemy)

Now I'm more familiar with jinja (the default with Sphinx) and I
should go back to std templates... Nevertheless the offical docs
is correct (http://sqlkit.argolinux.org)

Tamás Bajusz

Mar 2, 2016, 7:18:55 AM3/2/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
All of my private repos are on bitbucket too, so no problem.
Thx Alessandro!

http://groups.google.it/group/sqlkit
---

gbtami

Mar 6, 2016, 6:11:19 PM3/6/16
to sqlkit
Basic porting is done, pull request sent.
For remaining bugs I suggest to use BitBucket issue tracker.
One thing I faced and not fixed is ComboBoxEntry is used in
layout/dateedit.py and in layout/widgets.py but it's not exist in
Gtk3+ so this needs some help from you to work out.
It can be created with Gtk.ComboBox.new_with_enty() now:
https://lazka.github.io/pgi-docs/#Gtk-3.0/classes/ComboBox.html#Gtk.ComboBox

Alessandro Dentella

Mar 7, 2016, 2:22:16 AM3/7/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 03:11:19PM -0800, gbtami wrote:
> Basic porting is done, pull request sent.

Great. I wanted to give it a try, but I realized the demo is not
working due to the followin error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./demo.py", line 144, in <module>
d = DemoSql(xml=False, debug=True)
File "/tmp/sqlkit/demo/demo_tour.py", line 68, in __init__
self.w['N.0'].remove_page(-1)
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'remove_page'

It seems the widget dict is not correctly filled. Does the demo work
for you?

sandro
*:-)

ps: ok, net bug will be correctly filed in issue tracker! ;-*

gbtami

Mar 7, 2016, 5:04:58 AM3/7/16
to sqlkit
If your gtk3/pygobject version is below 3.14 I guess the reason is the following.
In layout/widgets.py LWidget _packing_xml() used container_class_list_child_properties()
In Gtk3+ it's Gtk.ContainerClass.list_child_properties() but available only from 3.14
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/commit/?h=pygobject-3-14&id=bf84915f89fd5fd502b4fb162eef7bc0a48c8783

gbtami

May 9, 2016, 5:01:06 AM5/9/16
to sqlkit