Can I show a 'mask' and a 'table' simultaneously from the same database?

Chris Green

Mar 16, 2016, 11:40:33 AM3/16/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
As per the subject - can I show a 'Mask' of a table and a 'Table' view
of it in the same window at the same time?

I have a table where there are two columns that change only rarely and
I want to be able to see them but not have them interfere with the
table view.

One of these columns is a date, so the table has many rows with the
same date. I want to show (and be able to edit) the date in the
window but hide it in the table view.

--
Chris Green

Alessandro Dentella

Mar 16, 2016, 3:07:51 PM3/16/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 03:40:30PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> As per the subject - can I show a 'Mask' of a table and a 'Table' view
> of it in the same window at the same time?

not in the same window. At least not in a natural way

> I have a table where there are two columns that change only rarely and
> I want to be able to see them but not have them interfere with the
> table view.

> One of these columns is a date, so the table has many rows with the
> same date. I want to show (and be able to edit) the date in the
> window but hide it in the table view.

If I understand it correctly you're looking for what I call
RecorInMask:

http://sqlkit.argolinux.org/sqlkit/table.html#recordinmask-for-foreignkeys

if you click on a record of a table you can click the forst menu entry
"Show this record in a mask" and that will follow the selection of the
main table.

So doing you can hide columns from the table but retaning the
possibility to edit them in tha mask. (If you want I gues you can also
attach that mask to the table using standard gtk commands, even
thuought I've never tried.)

sandro
*:-)

PS: I'm very busy at the moment but I'll surely apply you patches, thanks!

Chris Green

Mar 16, 2016, 4:49:06 PM3/16/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:07:48PM +0100, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 03:40:30PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
[snip]

> If I understand it correctly you're looking for what I call
> RecorInMask:
>
> http://sqlkit.argolinux.org/sqlkit/table.html#recordinmask-for-foreignkeys
>
> if you click on a record of a table you can click the forst menu entry
> "Show this record in a mask" and that will follow the selection of the
> main table.

Is it possible to start up like this?

> So doing you can hide columns from the table but retaning the
> possibility to edit them in tha mask. (If you want I gues you can also
> attach that mask to the table using standard gtk commands, even
> thuought I've never tried.)

Thanks Sandro, it's getting on for what I'm wanting.

> PS: I'm very busy at the moment but I'll surely apply you patches, thanks!

OK. As you can see the 'typo' is an Ubuntu distribution problem not
in your code (I've cloned the bitbucket code and the error isn't
there).

--
Chris Green

Alessandro Dentella

Mar 16, 2016, 6:16:59 PM3/16/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:49:03PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:07:48PM +0100, Alessandro Dentella wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 03:40:30PM +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > If I understand it correctly you're looking for what I call
> > RecorInMask:
> >
> > http://sqlkit.argolinux.org/sqlkit/table.html#recordinmask-for-foreignkeys
> >
> > if you click on a record of a table you can click the forst menu entry
> > "Show this record in a mask" and that will follow the selection of the
> > main table.
> >
> Is it possible to start up like this?

sure! look at the example n. 18:

./demo.py 18

or open the demo and lookk for the first group (base |
RecorInMask). Read the comment: there are 2 examples in 1 snippet!

sandro
*:-)

Chris Green

Mar 16, 2016, 7:50:15 PM3/16/16
to sql...@googlegroups.com
Of course, thank you Sandro. I think this can probably form the basis
of what I want to do.

--
Chris Green