SQLite3 version

Donald Nairn

May 5, 2014, 8:19:38 AM5/5/14
to sqlite...@googlegroups.com
I'm starting a project on a Windows machine and would like to use CTEs with SQLite3. Support was added for these in version 3.8.3.

However, currently most up to date Windows build is against 3.7.17 (sqlite3-1.3.9). Has anyone got any plans to update the version of the SQLite3 engine the Windows gem is linked to?

Jon

May 5, 2014, 1:03:42 PM5/5/14
to sqlite...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Donald Nairn <donald...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm starting a project on a Windows machine and would like to use CTEs with SQLite3. Support was added for these in version 3.8.3.

However, currently most up to date Windows build is against 3.7.17 (sqlite3-1.3.9). Has anyone got any plans to update the version of the SQLite3 engine the Windows gem is linked to?

If you are using the mingw-w64 based RubyInstaller and DevKit, your fastest way may be to build your favorite version of sqlite3 from source similar to

https://github.com/jonforums/buildlets/blob/master/build_sqlite.ps1#L71-L79

then build the sqlite3 gem from source using the above libraries. You'll want to pay attention to my last comment of this relevant RubyGems issue

https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/issues/834

regarding static vs. dynamic linking of `sqlite3_native.so` to the sqlite3 library you first built. I always static link the sqlite3 extension so I don't have to worry about `sqlite3.dll` versioning (and msvcrt versions) issues on PATH at runtime.

Partially related to your issue, given that the fat binary for sqlite3 currently has support for 1.8, 1.9, 2.0 but not 2.1, it makes sense look into updating sqlite3's `extconf.rb` to make it easier to perform static/dynamic source builds via RubyInstaller's DevKit.