[ANN] SQLDroid 0.3.0 released

Uwe Kubosch

Jan 24, 2012, 9:29:43 AM1/24/12
to SQLDroid
SQLDroid is a JDBC driver for Android's sqlite database
(android.database.sqlite.SQLiteDatabase) originally conceived by
Kristian Lein-Mathisen.

SQLDroid lets you access your app's database through JDBC. Android
ships with the necessary interfaces needed to use JDBC drivers, but it
does not officially ship with a driver for its built-in SQLite
database engine. When porting code from other projects, you can
conveniently replace the JDBC url to jdbc:sqlite to access an SQLite
database on Android.

The SQLDroid JAR with the JDBC driver for Android is 33KB. We also
offer a RubyGem "sqldroid" for use with [Ruboto](http://ruboto.org/).

http://sqldroid.org/

New in version 0.3.0:

* Moved the project to GitHub
* Closed all issues in the old Google Code project site.
* Renamed all classes to SQLDroid* for consistent naming (ergouser -
Jim Redman)
* PATCH: Add support for Android API level 4 (ergouser - Jim Redman)
* Support for Connection.getMetadata()? (ergouser - Jim Redman)
* Code for getColumns & getTables in SqldroidDatabaseMetaData
(ergouser - Jim Redman)
* Patch to allow jdbc:sqlite: urls as well as jdbc:sqldroid: (ergouser
- Jim Redman)
* java.sql.SQLException subverted by android.database.SQLException
(ergouser - Jim Redman)
* Committers - Please accept or reject changes from the Issues before
making other changes. (ergouser - Jim Redman)
* SqldroidDatabaseMetadata.getColumns() issues (ergouser - Jim Redman)
* SQLException in the implementation of the method
PreparedStatement.setBinaryStream (ergouser - Jim Redman)

Enjoy SQLite with JDBC on Android!

Damodar Periwal

Jan 24, 2012, 11:22:21 AM1/24/12
to sqld...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone!  I will check out the new jar with my example programs and let you know if I find any issues.

-- Damodar

Damodar Periwal

Jan 24, 2012, 3:21:09 PM1/24/12
to sqld...@googlegroups.com
I forked the latest master (of SQLDroid version 0.3) locally and tried to build the project in Eclipse (Galileo version) after importing it.  I am getting the following error:

[2012-01-24 12:12:33 - sqldroid] ERROR: resource directory 'C:\Users\Damodar\workspace\SQLDroidLocal_0.3\SQLDroid\res' does not exist

Do I have to explicitly create the res directory?  My Android target for the project is Android 1.6.

Thanks,

-- Damodar

Uwe Kubosch

Jan 24, 2012, 5:31:41 PM1/24/12
to SQLDroid
On Jan 24, 9:21 pm, Damodar Periwal <dperi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I forked the latest master (of SQLDroid version 0.3) locally and tried to
> build the project in Eclipse (Galileo version) after importing it.  I am
> getting the following error:
>
> [2012-01-24 12:12:33 - sqldroid] ERROR: resource directory
> 'C:\Users\Damodar\workspace\SQLDroidLocal_0.3\SQLDroid\res' does not exist
>
> Do I have to explicitly create the res directory?  My Android target for
> the project is Android 1.6.

Yes, looks like you have to create the "res" directory to make Eclipse
happy.

The project is currently not a proper Android project since all we
need it for is to compile against the Android API and the package the
compiled Java classes.

The Jar can be built using Ruby and Rake. Can you do that? If not, I
can try to restore the jardesc files. I just thought that it is
better to have only one way to build the jar. Less maintenance.

Which platform are you on? You can choose any Ruby implementation:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/

JRuby is my favorite.

Damodar Periwal

Jan 24, 2012, 6:01:40 PM1/24/12
to sqld...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  Creating the res directory took care of the build problem. Thank you.

I have built the jar by creating my own sqldroid.jardesc file, which I am attaching herewith.  The jar is created in sqldroid/libs directory.  You may change the location to sqldroid/lib or something.  You may add sqldroid.jardesc to the project, if you like.

I don't use Ruby or Rails.  I develop on Windows.

Thanks,

-- Damodar
sqldroid.jardesc

Uwe Kubosch

Jan 25, 2012, 2:02:24 AM1/25/12
to <sqldroid@googlegroups.com>
On 2012-01-25, at 00:01, Damodar Periwal wrote:

> Ok. Creating the res directory took care of the build problem. Thank you.
>
> I have built the jar by creating my own sqldroid.jardesc file, which I am attaching herewith. The jar is created in sqldroid/libs directory. You may change the location to sqldroid/lib or something. You may add sqldroid.jardesc to the project, if you like.

I'll compare it with the original jardesc and add it to the project.

> I don't use Ruby or Rails. I develop on Windows.

You should try Ruby, at least to expand your horizon. You can find the Windows RubyInstaller here

http://rubyinstaller.org/

--
Uwe Kubosch
Systems Developer

Kristian Lein-Mathisen

Jan 26, 2012, 11:05:12 AM1/26/12
to sqld...@googlegroups.com
An alternative would perhaps be to make an ant build.xml?

K.

Damodar Periwal

Jan 31, 2012, 10:25:22 PM1/31/12
to sqld...@googlegroups.com
I have tested the new code base against my examples and I did not observe any regressions.

My only suggestion is to comment out (or remove) four println statements in SQLDroidPreparedStatement.java in the setObj() method around lines 88 to 96 because they generate a lot of log messages.  Assuming that theses statements have served their purpose, they may be removed.  I will be leaving for an overseas trip tomorrow, so would not be able to create a branch, make changes and submit for review.  Perhaps someone can take care of it along with any other changes.

Thanks,

-- Damodar

P.S. I would try to run a multi-threaded test, which was failing with the old code base.  If I can do it before I leave, I will let you know.