Current experiences with async Python and dbs?

jens.t...@gmail.com

Dec 19, 2021, 7:46:12 PM12/19/21
to sqlalchemy
Hello,

We’ve been debating the performance of “standard” Python vs. async Python lately, in the context of db-backed web services. For web services, the blog Async Python is not faster provides interesting numbers, and @zzzeek back in 2015 wrote a blog Asynchronous Python and Databases which suggests similar findings.

Furthermore, our own initial experiments indicate that running async Python isn’t actually faster, and we’re now diving a little deeper into the I/O behavior of our applications to understand their bottlenecks.

Anyway, I’m curious about the communities recent experiences wrt. async Python and databases? With the just-released Python 3.11 planning to address performance (async performance?) we may see changes of the aforementioned numbers, or maybe not…

Much thanks,
Jens