How to use IBM i Access ODBC Driver

Jack W.

Oct 10, 2023, 11:07:23 PM10/10/23
to sqlalchemy
I have the IBM i Access ODBC Driver installed on Linux and I'm trying out Apache Superset.

The SQLAlchemy URIs I create don't work, e.g.,
  • iaccess+pyodbc://xxxxxxxxx .... driver not found
  • All the "traditional" URIs, e.g., using ibm_db_sa+pyodbc:///xxxxxxx don't work because I don't have that older driver installed (which does seem to be supported by SQLAlchemy).
TIA for any tips.

Mike Bayer

Oct 11, 2023, 9:01:47 AM10/11/23
to noreply-spamdigest via sqlalchemy
SQLAlchemy does not include support for this driver - the only IBM driver is the ibm_db_sa you reference, so short of writing your own driver based on that one, that's what's available.
--
SQLAlchemy -

To post example code, please provide an MCVE: Minimal, Complete, and Verifiable Example. See http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve for a full description.
---

Message has been deleted

Jack W.

Oct 11, 2023, 1:08:12 PM10/11/23
to sqlalchemy
Mike --

I found sqlalchemy-ibmi which connects but doesn't work all the way because it's aimed at SQLAlchemy 1.3.x.
I'm trying Apache Superset which wants SQLAlchemy>=1.4.49.
I've filed an issue Apache Superset requires SQLAlchemy 1.4.x with IBM to see if we can get an update.
Noting this all for the next IBM i person running up against this problem!
Thanks again, Mike, for your help.

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 10:08:56 AM UTC-6 Jack W. wrote:
Thanks for the prompt response, Michael ...

On Wednesday, October 11, 2023 at 7:01:47 AM UTC-6 Mike Bayer wrote:
SQLAlchemy does not include support for this driver - the only IBM driver is the ibm_db_sa you reference, so short of writing your own driver based on that one, that's what's available.

I infer there's a plugin regimen in the SQLAlchemy source to connect with supported drivers ... and some technology for type conversions?
I guess I should clone the source and see if it's possible to add a hookup for the IBM i Access Client Solutions ODBC driver?