Error when opening settings/backup

Richard Czech

Nov 26, 2021, 10:14:12 AM11/26/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hello,

I can't open the backup settings anymore.
When I open the settings and click on backup I get an error message:

ERROR Could not create panel Cannot invoke "workbench.util.WbFile.getAbsolutePath()" because "<local1>" is null

I attached a log file of a short session, in which I produced the error.

I hope I didn't screw up anything in my settings...

Cheers
Richard
workbench-backup-error.log

Thomas Kellerer

Nov 26, 2021, 10:31:23 AM11/26/21
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

no, it's not your fault - it's a bug.
Unfortunately, I discovered it after the last release :(

But luckily there is a workaround:

Close SQL Workbench, then open workbench.settings with a text editor and add the line:

workbench.workspace.backup.dir=backup

the actual value doesn't really matter - the directory does not even have to exist.

Then you can open the options dialog again.

Sorry for the trouble.

Regards
Thomas

Richard Czech

Dec 13, 2021, 11:31:16 AM12/13/21
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hello Thomas,

the fix worked...

I actually wasn't aware of the backup directory option... That's very helpful.

Thanks
Richard

Adolfo Gimenez

Jan 25, 2022, 2:58:40 PM1/25/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Buenas tengo el mismo caso, pero no encuentro el archivo  workbench.settingsbk.PNG

Thomas Kellerer

Jan 25, 2022, 3:17:50 PM1/25/22
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
The location of the settings file is shown in "Help -> About" or "Tools -> Options -> General"