Copy data to clipboard: Cannot invoke "workbench.db.DbMetadata.getDbSettings()"

Lis Riba

Jan 4, 2022, 4:15:22 PM1/4/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Using the Copy Data to Clipboard functionality.
When I press the OK button, SQL Workbench/J returns this error:
Cannot invoke "workbench.db.DbMetadata.getDbSettings()" because "<parameter1>" is null

Strangely enough, this worked fine on Friday, and I haven't made any changes to SQL Workbench, Windows, or Java since then.

Running Build 128 with Java version 17.0.1 (both 64-bit)

Here are the closing lines of workbench.log; I'm neither querying nor returning any blob fields.

2022-01-04 16:06:05 WARN  Blob mode "file" not supported for clipboard actions. Using DBMS specific format
2022-01-04 16:06:05 ERROR Could not export data Cannot invoke "workbench.db.DbMetadata.getDbSettings()" because "<parameter1>" is null
java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "workbench.db.DbMetadata.getDbSettings()" because "<parameter1>" is null
        at workbench.storage.BlobFormatterFactory.createInstance(BlobFormatterFactory.java:60)
        at workbench.db.exporter.TextExportWriter.configureConverter(TextExportWriter.java:80)
        at workbench.db.exporter.DataExporter.writeTo(DataExporter.java:1539)
        at workbench.gui.actions.clipboard.CopyAsTextAction.writeExport(CopyAsTextAction.java:290)
        at workbench.gui.actions.clipboard.CopyAsTextAction.doCopy(CopyAsTextAction.java:200)
        at workbench.gui.actions.clipboard.CopyAsTextAction$1.run(CopyAsTextAction.java:156)

Lis Riba

Jan 4, 2022, 4:28:28 PM1/4/22
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Hm.
Exited SQL Workbench and re-launched, and now it's working fine.

In the words of Emily Litella, "Never mind!"

Thomas Kellerer

Jan 7, 2022, 5:20:30 AM1/7/22
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
That's really strange. It seems that the connection to the database was closed while the "Copy To Clipboard" was started.