FlatLaf data cell pixel displacement

Chris Young

Jun 27, 2023, 6:24:46 PM6/27/23
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Thomas,

I've gotten somewhat use to this over the years, but I thought I would mention it.   Only when using FlatLaf themes there is a lowering of character strings by a couple pixels when the reported data type is varchar >= 250.  This lowering makes it hard to read the extended characters such as gjpqy_;,

I'm using the default for Data font.

You can see it by running this select in SQL Server (see attached screenshot):

select
    cast('gjpqy_;,' as varchar(249)) as normal,
    cast('gjpqy_;,' as varchar(250)) as lowered
go

Do you know why this occurs?  Is there any property we could set for FlatLaf that might change this?

Thanks,
Chris
SQLWB-data-grid.png

Thomas Kellerer

Jun 28, 2023, 1:22:23 AM6/28/23
to sql-wo...@googlegroups.com
This is probably due to the fact that for longer strings SQL Workbench uses a different renderer to be able to display multi-line content.

Have you set the limit for that to 250 maybe? This is done in Tools -> Options -> Data Display -> Multi-line columns.

If you never need to display multi-line content (i.e. containing newlines) inside the cells, then I suggest to turn off the feature completely.
Or raise the limit to something that is more likely to contain such a content.

Regards
Thomas

Chris Young

Jun 30, 2023, 8:00:48 PM6/30/23
to SQL Workbench/J - DBMS independent SQL tool
Thanks.  I disabled that option and it works great.