regarding migrating Microsoft Access DB to sql anywhere

vikas sharma

Aug 16, 2010, 5:19:12 AM8/16/10
to SQL Anywhere Web Development
Hi,

we are planning to migrate the the Access DB to some version of Sybase
SQL Anywhere.
Requirements are:

1) it should be file based
2) smaller foot print.
3) Our requirement is that we will migrate the tables from the Access
DB file (mdb format) to Sybase DB file format and bundle the driver
along with this file with our product.
4) what is the best way to migrate the DB from mdb file to the Sybase
DB file.

Plz suggest .

thanks,
Vikas

Eric Farrar

Aug 16, 2010, 11:18:48 AM8/16/10
to SQL Anywhere Web Development
Hello Vikas,

It sounds like SQL Anywhere will be a suitable database for your
application. The best way to migrate the data is using the SQL
Anywhere Migration Wizard. The documentation for it can be found at
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1200en/dbusage/importing-remote-databases.html.

I am also providing a link (http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/MS-SQL-Server/
Migrating-an-MS-Access-Database-to-SQL-Anywhere-with-Migration-Wizard/
1/) to an article entitled "Migrating an MS Access Database to SQL
Anywhere with Migration Wizard" that describes using this wizard. This
article is a few years old and uses a previous version of SQL
Anywhere, but the information is still valid.

Let us know if you have any questions or problems,

- Eric

vikas sharma

Aug 17, 2010, 2:59:53 AM8/17/10
to sql-anywhere-w...@googlegroups.com
thnx Eric, i got the required information from the link that you posted. I followed the instructions and am struck at the migration phase. I downloaded the sybase central from the sybase website and using its migration utility. There seems to be some issue with the "migrate the foreign keys " option.

below is the snippet of the error that i got, when i tried to migrate one single table and it is the issue with the option that i quoted above(related to migration of foreign keys)
CREATE EXISTING TABLE "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE_et" AT

'DCO;C:\MDBFILE\DCO;;DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE'
CREATE TABLE "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" (          "CmdInstanceID" uniqueidentifier NULL ,           "CmdID" smallint NULL ,           "CmdData" long binary NULL ,           "ProfileID" integer NULL )
CREATE INDEX "ProfileID" ON "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" ( "ProfileID" ASC );
CREATE INDEX "CmdInstanceID" ON "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" ( "CmdInstanceID" ASC );
CREATE INDEX "CmdID" ON "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" ( "CmdID" ASC );
CREATE UNIQUE INDEX "PrimaryKey" ON "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" ( "CmdInstanceID" ASC );
INSERT INTO "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE" SELECT           "CmdInstanceID",           "CmdID",           "CmdData",           "ProfileID" FROM "DBA"."DCO_CMD_INSTANCE_STATE_et";
java.sql.SQLException: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere]Server 'DCO': [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function

is it the driver issue ??
--
Vikas sharma
9008000682