Start from a project using sqitch

Franck Laÿs

Feb 6, 2023, 6:00:39 AM2/6/23
to Sqitch Users

Hello all,

Sorry if this topic has already been discussed here, I couldn’t find it.

I want to clone a GitHub repo https://github.com/pdcawley/bakehouse using sqitch, and start (I guess) my sqitch config from there. Is this use case documented somewhere ? If not could you tell me how to achieve that ?  Huge thanks.

Franck

Erik Wienhold

Feb 6, 2023, 9:23:40 AM2/6/23
to Sqitch Users
> On 06/02/2023 12:00 CET Franck La=C3=BFs <franc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> Sorry if this topic has already been discussed here, I couldn=E2=80=99t f=
ind it.=C2=A0
> I want to clone a GitHub repo https://github.com/pdcawley/bakehouse using
> sqitch, and start (I guess) my sqitch config from there. Is this use case
> documented somewhere ? If not could you tell me how to achieve that ?
> Huge thanks.
> Franck

Hi Franck,

there are two ways:

1. Fork bakehouse and add your changes to the very same Sqitch project.
2. Create your own Sqitch project and add changes that depend on bakehouse.
You can add bakehouse as submodule to your Git repository.

Your post reads as if you want the second approach. I don't think that's
documented anywhere in detail. Some of it is buried in the documentation,
e.g. sqitch-add (search for "-r utilities:extract" in https://sqitch.org/do=
cs/manual/sqitch-add/).

Sqitch will check that dependencies are deployed first before deploying
dependent changes. But you have to manually deploy dependencies. Sqitch
does not automate this.

--
Erik

Franck Laÿs

Feb 6, 2023, 3:00:25 PM2/6/23
to Sqitch Users
Thanks Erik for replying so fast, I get it now :)