WhalinTranscoder no longer compress JSON data

Eran Harel

Oct 7, 2013, 11:46:04 AM10/7/13
to spymem...@googlegroups.com
We tried to upgrade from spymemcached 2.7.3 to 2.10, and now we get around X10 (up to X40) traffic to our memcached servers.

After a long long long long long debugging session we found that the root cause for this is that WhalinTranscoder was changed to avoid compressing JSON data.

The end result was quite disastrous for us. We have pretty large objects that sometimes reach up to 600KB (and it can still grow), and the traffic on a single client -> memcached reached to 40MB / sec due to this change, and caused latency issues.

Before I go ahead and open a ticket, and / or write my own private version of WhalinTranscoder which doesn't have this breaking change, I'd like to hear what the maintainers think.

Can anyone shed some light on this change?
Can anyone recommend how to proceed (we can't upgrade...)?
Can this change be moved to the couchbase implementation only? (I assume it is only relevant to membase [map reduce?])

BTW, replacing the transcoder is currently not a very good option for me - It will force us to invalidate tons of keys (lots of data).

Please advise.