Support for a generic transcoder?

gr...@klout.com

Jul 29, 2013, 6:39:55 PM7/29/13
to spymem...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are using spy memcached in a scala project, and I'm playing around with a serialization framework that has a generic deserializer only (type information is required).  Thus, I cannot extend the SerializationTranscoder as it is not generic.

I see that the Transcoder interface is generic and I could technically implement it to get to my goal. However, SerializationTranscoder & BaseSerializingTranscoder have a lot of implementation internals that I don't want to duplicate to avoid breaking abstraction, they may change, etc.

Another option is to serialize / deserialize the objects to/from Bytes before calling get / set and provide a serializer implementation that assumes input is already in bytes.

Is there a recommended way to go forward with this?

Thanks!
-greg

Matt Ingenthron

Jul 29, 2013, 9:09:02 PM7/29/13
to spymem...@googlegroups.com

I've had the same problem myself a bunch of times.

Michael:  should we change this up?  Need to consider what that hierarchy should be.

gr...@klout.com

Jul 31, 2013, 12:57:53 PM7/31/13
to spymem...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt,

I appreciate the possible solution of this in the library. Should I file a ticket?

-greg