Apply log4j security patch to memcached1.4.x

Deepthi Komatineni

Oct 23, 2018, 11:24:15 PM10/23/18
to spymemcached
In our project we use spymemcached.2.11.1.jar which uses Log4J 1.2.16

There is a security vulnerability observed in Apache Log4j 2.x before 2.8.2, when using the TCP socket server or UDP socket server to receive serialized log events from another application, a specially crafted binary payload can be sent that, when deserialised, can execute arbitrary code.

How do I apply the Log4J security patch (https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2017-5645/) on memcached jars? Would memcached do it or should i update the pom.xml in memcached jar myself?

Regards,

Deepthi

ingenthr

Oct 24, 2018, 12:00:26 AM10/24/18
to spymemcached
You should be able to update your Log4J dependency to a later one which is compatible directly as you indicate in the pom.xml.  I'll have a look at updating this as well.

John Reilly

Oct 27, 2018, 10:15:46 PM10/27/18
to spymem...@googlegroups.com
The cve indicates that log4j 2.x is affected but not 1.x.