Unable to Edit Code from External Drive

Kylie Hall

Jul 17, 2021, 11:44:06 AM7/17/21
to spyder
Hi everyone,

I recently switched over from Windows to Mac and am working on transferring all of my work to the Mac. On my Windows laptop, I ran Spyder through Anaconda and edited code I had saved on an external hard drive. I am trying to do the same on the Mac, but whenever I open .py files from the hard drive in Spyder, I am unable to type; I can click on individual lines but no cursor appears and I am unable to change anything. The name of the file also appears in parentheses. Spyder doesn't seem to have this problem with files that are not on the hard drive, just the ones that are--except, weirdly, when I copied and pasted one of the python files from my hard drive into my Documents folder and opened that in Spyder at the same time as the same document from my hard drive, the parentheses around the file names of all of the files I had open from the hard drive went away, but I was still unable to edit them. I'm running Spyder 5.0.5 through the Anaconda Navigator on a MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur 11.4. Any advice anyone might have would be much appreciated!