Connect Spyder to non-conda environment

Chris P

Nov 30, 2022, 10:07:13 PM11/30/22
to spyder
Hi, I've installed the Spyder standalone package on my Windows 10 computer.
I would like to install the "openpyxl" module, and appreciate that I will need to install a fresh Python environment, and then connect Spyder to it.
The FAQ (here: https://docs.spyder-ide.org/current/faq.html#using-packages-installer) states that either Anaconda or Miniconda needs to be installed, and listed certain paths that must be used.
However, the installation guide (here: https://docs.spyder-ide.org/current/installation.html) states that "an external Python distribution (such as Anaconda, Miniconda, Miniforge/Mambaforge, WinPython or Python.org)" can be used.
I do not have the ability to install Anaconda or Miniconda on my work computer. Grateful if you could please provide instructions on how I can connect Spyder to a non-conda environment.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 13, 2022, 1:21:15 AM12/13/22
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

We make reference to Anaconda/Miniconda a lot because the process to install/updates packages is way more robust and reliable than using pip. However, the instructions to connect Spyder to a non-conda Python distribution/environment are basically the same as with conda.

In other words, wherever you see a conda install foo command, you need to change it to pip install foo.

Cheers,
Carlos

Alonso Palomino

Dec 19, 2022, 12:42:49 PM12/19/22
to spyder
Hi Chris P.
I am a Linux user, I have installed Spyder without using Anaconda.

I think the process in Windows can be similar:

1. Create a virtual environment in a directory, for example, C:\test
2. Activate the virtual environment in C:\test
3. With the virtual environment enabled in C:\test install Spyder with the command "<code>pip3 install spyder</code>"
4. In the same way you can install the module "openpyxl" with the command "<code>pip3 install openpyxl</code>"

I hope it is useful for you
All the best

Chris P

Dec 22, 2022, 1:38:15 PM12/22/22
to spyder
Thank you both for the explanations.
Carlos - Thank you. As per your suggestion, I managed to get the standalone Spyder package to connect to an external Python.org distribution, by simply following the same instructions, but using "pip" instead of "conda".
Alonso - I appreciate the alternative suggestion you provided. I already had the standalone Spyder package installed, and so was keen to use this, but appreciate that I could install Spyder using "pip" instead.
Best wishes,
Chris

Carlos Córdoba

Dec 24, 2022, 12:18:42 PM12/24/22
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm really glad you were able to make this use case work for you using pip.

Cheers,
Carlos

Alonso Palomino

Dec 24, 2022, 3:39:15 PM12/24/22
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
The magic is done by Python.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "spyder" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/spyderlib/2c83b6cd-ee32-36a5-3bac-fec273d79ca1%40gmail.com.