Refresh Data Frame?

Jeffrey T

Nov 19, 2023, 11:37:56 AM11/19/23
to spyder
Hello,

Is there a 'refresh' button specifically for data frames? I see there is a refresh button in the Variable Explorer, but not for undocked data frames.

By way of minimal working example, say I create a simple data frame and update values. I would like to quickly refresh the data frame and see the updated values reflected. Is this possible?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-11-16 at 2.07.26 PM.png

Daniel Althviz Moré

Dec 18, 2023, 11:14:01 PM12/18/23
to spyder
Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you for the feedback! Indeed that is something that has been worked on. In fact for Spyder 6 a refresh button for all the variable editors will be available. For more info you can check the pull request where that functionality was implemented:  PR: Add Refresh button to editors from Variable Explorer by jitseniesen · Pull Request #21312 · spyder-ide/spyder (github.com)

Best regards,

Daniel

Jeffrey T

Dec 19, 2023, 10:44:43 PM12/19/23
to spyder
Hi Daniel,

Congratulations, this is amazing! 🎉

I'm in the process of transferring all my academic work from R into Python. It's been a fairly seamless transition except for finding an IDE that allows me to work with multiple monitors with my data frame in a separate window/monitor that can refresh as I make frequent updates to my data. If I may be so bold, the only additional feature would be an automatic refresh option in Spyder. I know it's a long shot, but such a feature would replicate how RStudio functions when changes are made to a data frame. From my limited understanding, Python can be a bit taxing on CPUs which is why this feature isn't included in IDEs, but an auto refresh option would be amazing as an optional setting for folks like me making the transition to Python!

Cheers,

J.

Daniel Althviz Moré

Dec 21, 2023, 2:20:22 PM12/21/23
to spyder
Hi again,

Glad that new feature could be useful for you on your transition from R to Python! Regarding an automatic refresh, checking the original issue, I think that was discussed and requested at some point but discarted due to the way the variable editors work, making the implementation of such a feature something that could affect memory performance. For more details on the reasoning behind only adding a button to manually trigger the variable editors update you can check this comment

Also, although it is just an alpha, Spyder 6.0.0alpha3 was recently released and it includes this manual refresh button feature is you want to give it a try: Release Spyder 6.0.0a3 · spyder-ide/spyder (github.com)

Best regards and Happy Holidays,

Daniel