Getting the Debugger to work (5.1.5)

Thaago

Mar 7, 2022, 11:58:38 AM3/7/22
to spyder
Hi everyone, I'm a new user on a Windows 10 machine, using Anaconda. I've updated Spyder to the 5.1.5 version (the highest available on Anaconda) and I cannot get the debugger to work at all.

I have made a trivial program and set breakpoints, and can run it to completion. However when I hit debug, it stops at the first non-comment line and I cannot advance by any means, including any buttons.

When I first encountered this problem Anaconda had installed Spyder 4.0.1: In this version I got IPdb prompts in the debugger and could manually type "next", even though all the UI buttons in the actual Spyder program were nonfunctional. On googling found that issues were fixed later. So I updated to 5.1.5.

In 5.1.5 there is no IPdb line at all, and attempts to stop the process display
"--KeyboardInterrupt--
For copying text while debugging, use Ctrl+Shift+C"

In the debug console, but they don't actually stop the debugger! The kernel seems completely stuck, and no program can run until I close the kernel and open a new one. There is no other way to exit the debugger.

I've spent a few hours reading old threads, updating, restarting the machine, and trying to figure out what the heck to do, so any help would be appreciated! Attached below is the trivial program and what the debugger looks like.

SpyderDebug.png

Daniel Althviz Moré

Apr 4, 2022, 1:31:44 PM4/4/22
to spyder
Hi!

Maybe your issue is related with this one https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/17523 I would suggest you to try to install the latest Spyder version available (Spyder 5.3.0 at the moment). For that you will need to use the conda-forge channel (create a new conda environment using only conda-forge packages) or our Windows installer (available at https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/releases/latest).

If seems like the linked issue covers what you are experiencing and you have any other info please post it there.

Best regards,

Daniel