How to install pip on fresh Spyder 5.2.1 install

Fred Hamilton

Jan 13, 2022, 12:21:14 AM1/13/22
to spyder
Just installed Spyder using the stand-alone Windows installer found here.  Python (the one installed with the Spyder installer) works fine, but pip doesn't seem to be installed.  I've googled around and am mightily confused about what to do.  I find instructions for installing Spyder using pip (?), instructions for installing pip with conda (which I have not installed), but nothing on how to get pip installed with what I assumed would be the base case: After installing Spyder and Python with Spyder's stand-alone Windows installer.

Any help appreciated.

Carlos Córdoba

Jan 13, 2022, 12:25:32 AM1/13/22
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you want to use a package that doesn't come with our installers (like Seaborn or Scikit-learn), you need to install a separate Python environment and connect it to Spyder, as described here:

https://docs.spyder-ide.org/5/faq.html#using-packages-installer

Cheers,
Carlos

El 12/01/22 a las 2:48 p. m., Fred Hamilton escribió:
Just installed Spyder using the stand-alone Windows installer found here.  Python (the one installed with the Spyder installer) works fine, but pip doesn't seem to be installed.  I've googled around and am mightily confused about what to do.  I find instructions for installing Spyder using pip (?), instructions for installing pip with conda (which I have not installed), but nothing on how to get pip installed with what I assumed would be the base case: After installing Spyder and Python with Spyder's stand-alone Windows installer.

Any help appreciated.

Fred Hamilton

Jan 14, 2022, 8:25:34 PM1/14/22
to spyder
On Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 9:25:32 PM UTC-8 ccord...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

If you want to use a package that doesn't come with our installers (like Seaborn or Scikit-learn), you need to install a separate Python environment and connect it to Spyder, as described here:

https://docs.spyder-ide.org/5/faq.html#using-packages-installer

Cheers,
Carlos

OK, thanks.  I went with Anaconda.