[ANN] Spyder 6.0 beta2 is released!

Daniel Althviz Moré

Jun 19, 2024, 4:43:06 PM (14 days ago) Jun 19
to spyder
Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I'm pleased to announce the second beta of our next major version: Spyder 6.0.

We've been working on this version for more than one year now and it's working relatively well. There are still several bugs to squash but we encourage all people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This beta version includes more than 175 commits over our latest beta release (6.0.0b1).

Spyder 6.0 comes with the following interesting new features and fixes:
  • New features
    • New installers for Windows, Linux and macOS based on Conda and Conda-forge.
    • Add a Debugger pane to explore the stack frame of the current debugging session.
    • Add a button to the Debugger pane to pause the current code execution and enter the debugger afterwards.
    • Add submenu to the Consoles menu to start a new console for a specific Conda or Pyenv environment.
    • Add ability to refresh the open Variable Explorer viewers to reflect the current variable state.
    • Show plots generated in the Variable Explorer or its viewers in the Plots pane.
    • Show Matplotlib backend state in status bar.
    • Make kernel restarts be much faster for the current interpreter.
    • Turn runfile, debugfile, runcell and related commands into IPython magics.
  • Important fixes
    • Environment variables declared in ~/.bashrc or ~/.zhrc are detected and passed to the IPython console.
    • Support all real number dtypes in the dataframe viewer.
    • Restore ability to load Hdf5 and Dicom files through the Variable Explorer (this was working in Spyder 4 and before).
  • New API features
    • SpyderPluginV2.get_description must be a static method now and SpyderPluginV2.get_icon a class or static method. This is necessary to display the list of available plugins in Preferences in a more user-friendly way (see PR #21101).
    • Generalize the Run plugin to support generic inputs and executors. This allows plugins to declare what kind of inputs (i.e. file, cell or selection) they can execute and how they will display the result.
    • Add a new plugin called Switcher for the files and symbols switcher.
    • Declare a proper API for the Projects plugin.
    • Remove the Breakpoints plugin and add its functionality to the Debugger one.
For a more complete list of changes, please see our changelog

You can easily install this beta if you use conda by running:

conda install -c conda-forge/label/spyder_dev -c conda-forge/label/spyder_kernels_rc -c conda-forge spyder=6.0.0b2

Or you can use pip with this command:

pip install --pre -U spyder

Enjoy!

Daniel