What's Your Big Protest?

SPU Theatre

Nov 10, 2015, 6:29:59 PM11/10/15
to What's Your Big Protest?
Welcome to our discussion space, and thank you for talking back with us. When SPU Theatre chose to do the production of Elephant's Graveyard, we knew it would spark people's minds and ask some hard questions. Therefore, we decided to create a safe and open online forum to discuss what is next. This show deals with many complicated and longstanding issues in American culture, such as racism, sexism, reconciliation, justice, and revenge. So now the floor is open to all of you, to make your mark and to leave your voice here.

When director Candace Vance decides to do a production, she asks herself "Why break the silence of the universe with this show? Is what we are saying onstage worth being said?". Clearly, she, along with the cast, crew, and SPU theatre faculty, saw the worth in breaking that silence. And now, we turn to your responses.

Please feel free to connect, to share stories or questions, and to let us know what your big protest is going to be. Thank you for responding!

Randy Beavers

Nov 13, 2015, 12:04:25 PM11/13/15
to What's Your Big Protest?
With respect to justice, the Bible states "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth." However, Jesus has come and fulfilled the law. He states we should forgive someone "seventy times seven." If we had this mentality throughout our justice system, what would it look like to extend grace to those who have committed crimes? In other words, what if we moved from punishment and taking away someone's rights to rehabilitation in an environment of love versus the current depictions of brutality and hatred that pervade various prisons and states across our country.

My other thought comes from our society's need for entertainment. The townspeople of Erwin went to something they thought would be a spectacle, but this quickly turned to tragedy. Have we lost our innocence that existed 100 years ago? Yes, we still turn our heads when gruesome injuries take place on the field, but then we care for them, remove them from our sights, and play on. Is this right?

I very much enjoyed the play, and I hope these comments start a conversation among us. None of us have the answers alone, but maybe together we can figure out what this means and how this could shape our own lives.