Free Sculpture Racing workshop at Parts and Crafts this weekend!

Katie Gradowski

Apr 6, 2017, 5:29:12 PM4/6/17
to Sprout Discuss
Hi everyone!

Many of you are familiar with the Community Sculpture Race, which happens on April 23 at Danehy Park.  There will be a free workshop this Saturday from 1-2 pm at Parts and Crafts for groups, families, and individuals who want to participate.  See details below!

1. LAST CALL FOR COMMUNITY SCULPTURE RACE

Danehy Park, Cambridge. Sunday, April 23

This is a Cambridge Science Festival Event, a 4/10 mile race of wheeled arts and crafts on the loopy sidewalks around the Olympic soccer field at Danehy Park in northwest Cambridge, followed by an 2-hour exhibition of your work!!! Please let us know by Friday, April 21 if you plan to enter. See website for guidelines and more info. And see attached flyer.

Here is a link to photographs of last year’s race by Andrew Held.

Last year’s race: starting line

2. WORKSHOPS ANNOUNCEMENT

(All three are open to all ages and skill levels)

Intensive Sculpture Racing Prototype Building Workshops

April dates TBA, two-day workshop, 3-4 hours each day. Email us with your interest.

David Lang

Natick Studio

Cost: free

Macintosh HD:Users:christianherold:Desktop:Blue-Worm-GroupTN.gif

Blue Worm Group, David Lang

Two Sculpture Racing Building Workshops

Taught by Jeff DelPapa

For anyone thinking about racing an artwork in this years community Sculpture Race, Jeff Del Papa, chief engineer for people's sculpture racing is hosting an event at CRMI that will get you off to a flying start.   Learn how to construct what is normally considered a stationary art form using a minimum of tools, and straightforward materials, then make it able to move under your human power, complete with animated bits,  and how to get it to (hopefully) hang together until you cross the finish line.

This is an event for families (yes, bring the kids), teachers, scouting (or similar) groups and others looking for an interesting project, one that combines art with engineering, to occupy the upcoming school vacation week.  The race will be held at Danehy park (near Fresh Pond in Cambridge), on Sunday April 23, part of the Cambridge Science Festival.

Feel free to take one or both workshops!

Jeff Del Papa Workshop #1

April 8, 1-2 PM (confirm exact time)

Parts and Crafts

577 Somerville Ave., Somerville.

(617) 207-8016

Cost: donations

Jeff Del Papa Workshop #2

April 9, 1-2:30 PM

Charles River Museum of Industry and Innovation

154 Moody Street, Waltham, MA – (781-) 893-5410.

Cost: museum admission (adults $10; children and teens $5)

Dizzy the Cat, Jeff Del Papa & Teens

ABOUT THE TEACHERS

David Lang, kinetic sculptor “I have been active as an artist for all of my adult life. Since 2005 I have been constructing interactive Kinetic Sculpture from my studio in Natick MA. I am also a painter, photographer and writer. I chaired the Art Department at Middlesex School in Concord, MA from 1972 thru 2003. I was a flight instructor at Hanscom Field in Bedford, MA for 24 years.” David served as a juror for entries for the 2017 Cambridge Arts River Festival race. http://www.davidlangstudios.com/

Jeff Del Papa is a Maker, card carrying NERD, and a builder of strange things.  He founded the first American team to appear on the engineering competition show "Junkyard Wars".  He builds catapults (punkin chunkin, piano "moving") strange bicycles, and the odd practical effect for TV sorts.  He teaches at the Somerville kids makerspace "Parts and Crafts" (he also runs team building events for adults), is the current president of the New England Model Engineering Society, and Chief Engineer for People's Sculpture Racing. http://www.the-nerds.org/

3. CAMBRIDGE SCIENCE FESTIVAL CARNIVAL & ROBOT ZOO

Saturday, April 15, noon-4PM

Cambridge Rindge and Latin – gym and basketball court

459 Broadway, Cambridge

http://www.cambridgesciencefestival.org/event/science-carnival-robot-zoo/

Jeff Del Papa’s Dizzy the Cat will be on display. Families are invited to contribute their designs for racing sculptures for our online gallery.

--

“I enjoy things on wheels because they speak of the American life”
– George Greenamyer

CONTACT INFO

Christian Herold
phone: (917) 763-6979