March with Parts and Crafts in the Honk parade!

Katie Gradowski

Sep 30, 2017, 8:48:49 AM9/30/17
to Sprout Discuss
March with P&C in the HONK parade!
HONK is next weekend -- can you believe it?   The theme for this year is housing justice.  We'll be out all weekend, joining the bands, building cardboard houses, making lanterns, and more.  Here's a quick rundown of our plans for the week!

What is HONK?  An awesome annual 3-day free festival bringing brass bands from all over the United States and the world to Somerville for a celebration of music, community and activism.  Organized entirely by volunteers and now in its 12th year, the festival kicks off on Friday night with a lantern parade in Davis Square neighborhoods and a band showcase. On Saturday more than 25 bands take over Davis Square for a giant music and dance party. On Sunday, local community groups, artists, and activists working for a variety of progressive causes — economic justice, protecting the environment, world peace, an end to racism — join the brass bands for a parade from Davis Square to Harvard Square.

TODAY:  City Design with Space Park
Saturday Sept 30, 12-2 pm
We're excited to be marching with Space Park in the parade!  The theme for this year is affordable housing and housing justice.  Join us at Saturday Open Shop to work on our city plans and designs for the HONK parade.

THIS WEEK:  Help us get the Flunx ready!
Friday 9-3 pm + afterschool all week

It's a free community day at CSCL this Friday -- all are welcome, including siblings and friends. Parts and Crafts will be open from 9-3 pm for people who want to help us build puppets, make costumes, and repaint the Flunx!  Please note: There will be NO OPEN SHOP next Saturday 10/7.  Prep happens this week, wrapping up Friday with the Lantern Parade.

Lantern Parade in Hodgkins Park
Friday October 6, 4-6 pm, parades start at 7 pm
Kids, parents, neighbors, and friends are all invited to make homemade, DIY lanterns in preparation for the evening Lantern Parades around Davis Square.  This is one of our favorite events and we're excited to be pairing up with HONK and Spontaneous Celebrations to make it happen again this year!   Build your own lanterns from 4-6 and then join us for the lantern parades starting at 7 pm!  Free and open to the public

Sustainable Cities:  Now and Future Housing
Saturday October 7, 12-4 pm in Davis Square

Parts and Crafts.
The City of Someville is slated to build 9000 units of new housing between now and 2030.  What should that housing look like?  Where should it be?
How many units can we build right now?  And critically, how do we make them affordable?  We'll be tackling the problem in the way we usually do -- with duct tape, cardboard, markers, and paint.

Space Park.  Did you know that many of the ideas for sustainable building design come from NASA?  Using technology from Mars, we'll work to build housing that is sustainable and affordable, setting up futuristic using a geodesic dome, a series of hexagonal walls made of coroplast, and large cardboard boxes, and lots of duct tape.

March with P&C in the HONK parade!
Sunday October 8 @ 11 a.m. in Davis

It's that time again!   Join us for the 2017 HONK parade from Davis Square down Mass Ave to Harvard Square to “Reclaim the Streets for Horns, Bikes and Feet” for the 11th annual HONK Festival of Activist Street Bands! Bring your best Dr. Seuss garb and march with Parts and Crafts and Space Park this Sunday at 11 a.m. in the parking lot behind Davis.  All are welcome!

Interested in marching with us?
We're psyched to be teaming with Space Park.  We'd love to invite you to join us!  If you'd like to march with us in the parade, meet us in Davis Square on Sunday at 11 am by the big purple float with a drum.  Coming with a group?  Email contact@partsandcrafts.org so we can let the HONK committee know!