Public hearing TOMORROW at 6:30 on affordable housing

Katie Gradowski

Apr 29, 2018, 11:51:04 PM4/29/18
to Sprout Discuss
Hi everyone,

The Board of Aldermen is holding a public hearing TOMORROW on the state of the housing crisis in Somerville.   I encourage folks to come and testify!

Public Hearing:  Gathering Data and Testimony on Affordable Housing in Somerville
Monday April 30, 6:30 - 8 pm
Somerville City Hall

What data do we currently have on our affordable housing crisis, and what information do we lack? What policies do we have in place, and how well are they meeting the needs of our community? What are the causes of rising rental costs and home prices, and what are the effects - on our school population, on our senior citizens, on our public health, and on the displacement of our neighbors?

Alderman Ben Ewen-Campen has called Public Hearing in the Housing and Community Development Committee in order to gather data and testimony regarding the affordable housing crisis in Somerville.  The hearing will include testimony from Somerville City Staff, housing experts, local non-profits, and others working on the front lines of housing to better understand the nature of the problem.

In addition, this is a **public** hearing - meaning that YOU (and everyone else!) is invited to give testimony, as well. If you have something to add to this important conversation, or if you'd just like to listen, please join us. The Public Hearing will also be live-streamed and recorded for those who cannot make it.

Context:  The city is considering passing a 1% real estate transfer fee to generate much-needed revenue for affordable housing.

If you live in Somerville --- or if you don't anymore because you had to move -- or if you're scared that you will have to move before long -- please come and share your testimony!   We already have piles of data. It's important to drive home the fact that there are real people behind the data who will benefit tremendously if the transfer fee and legislation like it is passed.

All best, and thanks!

Katie