historic Merrill Spring, Native American History Month and land acknowledgement

1 view

Spring Harbor Board

Nov 19, 2020, 10:45:32 PM11/19/20
to SHNA list serve
At tonight's virtual Spring Harbor Neighborhood Association all-neighborhood meeting, we heard a report on the efforts of Friends of Merrill Spring (FMS) to protect and maintain the historic spring and to raise awareness of the Native American spiritual significance of Merrill Spring. Thanks to Alice Erickson for her report. See the November 2020 SHNA newsletter for more information about FMS.

We were also reminded that November is Native American Heritage Month and we learned about the act of writing a land acknowledgement. If you are interested in learning more about this expression of gratitude, here are some resources:

https://nativeamericanheritagemonth.gov/

http://landacknowledgements.org/

https://gns.wisc.edu/uw-madison-land-acknowledgement-statement

https://ho-chunknation.com/government/executive-branch/heritage-preservation/

https://wisconsinfirstnations.org/spirits-of-earth/

Thanks to Fatih Fitzpatrick for sharing this information with us.
--
Please do not reply to this e-mail as the Inbox is not checked for incoming messages. If you have a question or concern, contact a Spring Harbor Neighborhood Association (SHNA) Board member; names and contact info can be found on the SHNA Website: www.springharboronline.com or in the neighborhood newsletter.