SHNA Winter Update

Spring Harbor Board

Feb 1, 2024, 9:03:29 PMFeb 1
to SHNA list serve
Hello Spring Harbor neighbors,

My name is Erin McGrath, and I am the secretary of the Spring Harbor Neighborhood Association (SHNA).  I hope you are doing well this winter.

The SHNA board has some information for you about keeping the lake and our drinking water safe this winter with good environmental practices.

  • "Shovel More, Salt Less."  Too much sidewalk salt is going into the lake, which makes it a toxic environment.  Please use salt or ice melt sparingly.  Instead, sprinkle sand.
  • If you hire a company to plow, shovel, and clear your sidewalks, look for a company that is Salt Wise Certified.  There are many in our area.  They know how to clear your driveway and sidewalks in an environmentally friendly way.
  • The City of Madison has a new ordinance about how much salt to use.  Property owners can only use enough salt or chemical melting agents to remove the snow and ice — meaning excess salt or melting agents can't be left behind and have to be removed from the sidewalk once the snow and ice are gone.  Click here for more information.
  • If you want to hire someone to help with shoveling, check past Spring Harbor newsletters for names and email addresses of children in the neighborhood willing to shovel.
Take care,
Erin, on behalf of the SHNA Board
--
Please do not reply to this e-mail as the Inbox is not checked for incoming messages. If you have a question or concern, contact a Spring Harbor Neighborhood Association (SHNA) Board member; names and contact info can be found on the SHNA Website: www.springharboronline.com or in the neighborhood newsletter.