is Springdale 8 still active?

Bjorn Em

May 29, 2020, 9:16:51 PM5/29/20
to springdale-users
I see there is still only a net-install, not a full ISO to download.
Scientific Linux didn't do version 8, instead just going with Centos.
And besides RHEL 8 is so unappealling, that I think many are sticking with 7 until it dies.
Springdale 8 was available before Centos, but now looks like there is a lack of interest.

Predrag Punosevac

May 29, 2020, 9:28:45 PM5/29/20
to springda...@googlegroups.com
"'Bjorn Em' via springdale-users" <springda...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I see there is still only a net-install, not a full ISO to download.
> Scientific Linux didn't do version 8, instead just going with Centos.

Scientific Linux is dead for few years already. There was one full time
employee of Fermilab who was the only Scientific Linux developer. He was
hired off Red Hat some time ago (before IBM acquisition of RED HAT).

> And besides RHEL 8 is so unappealling, that I think many are sticking with

I wish I knew that before provisioning half-millon dollar worth of
hardware with RHEL 8. I am going to call my friends in few national labs
and tell them that they should downgrade to RHEL 7 because you said so.

> 7 until it dies.
> Springdale 8 was available before Centos, but now looks like there is a
> lack of interest.

Lack of interest among whom? Major national laboratories and super
computing centers in US or random people on the street.

Cheers,
Predrag

Benjamin Rose

May 29, 2020, 10:07:58 PM5/29/20
to springda...@googlegroups.com

Bjorn,

Springdale is alive and well. Version 8.2 was just made default 3 days ago. From my usage so far, it's been working smoothly.

I use netinstall and an Ethernet cable for personal and one-off installs. It can be loaded onto pretty much any USB stick to not waste a CD/DVD. At work, I run a mirror for campus installs and I boot clients to the network via PXE. Network installs are very quick with a local mirror.

It seems you are looking for the full DVD image, which we support as a "would-be-nice" feature. It is a curated image-local repository with some additional boot params. We don't often use this in house, and we rarely have time to build a "would-be-nice" feature otherwise.

None of this is to discourage anyone from building the Springdale DVD ISO in collaboration, all the resources are available.

Ben