Spring Street P-Patch Art Project Draft Design

Erika Harris

Jul 23, 2010, 2:27:23 AM7/23/10
to Jen Bacon, Kevin MacDonald, michael zitka, Grace ellen, Melanie Tomlin, Jennifer Scott, nora wheat, jewel...@hotmail.com, Carolyn Alcorn, SPRI...@talk2.seattle.gov, Spring Street P-Patch Community, lucy...@yahoo.com, madrona...@yahoo.com, msjoh...@gmail.com
Thanks to all who participated in the art project design meeting on Monday!  A sketch of the draft design and notes from the meeting are attached.  Below is a description of the draft design.

The next step is to get feedback from the community on the draft design, probably at a potluck in August or September.  Until then, feel free to send me feedback, which I will keep and share with the design group.

Cheers!  Erika

Proposed Design Elements
Pear-shaped planting bed in entrance space for herbs (possibly an herb spiral).  The top of the planter walls will provide seating and benches facing the two lowest p-patches could be built into the top two sides of the pear shape.
A smaller circle could be built as a terrace into the lower, larger portion of the pear-shaped planter.
A “Spring Street P-Patch” mosaic sign will wrap around the front of the planter facing the intersection.  Julie has mosaic tile and expertise to donate for the sign.
Michael can build a birdhouse and whirlygigs to put in the planter.  He could paint “Spring Street” or “community garden” on the tail of the whirlygigs.  We will look into the possibility of putting a solar light on the birdhouse.
Permeable pavers will be considered for the entrance and path.

ppatchentry.jpg
ppatchdesignjuly19.docx