Spring Modules JCR modules vs. Spring Extensions jcr

dsklyut

Oct 31, 2009, 5:55:57 PM10/31/09
to spring-modules-fork
So I stumbled upon this thing: http://forum.springsource.org/forumdisplay.php?f=65.
What is your take on it? Spring Extensions is suppose to be the new
approved and blessed home of community contributions.
I would hate to duplicate effort or start a parallel branch of
development.

se-jcr is a fork of Spring Module jcr so maybe it makes sense for all
interested in spring jcr integration to converge on a single dev path?

What is the opinion and does anyone has any more insight in se-jcr
effort?

Regards,

Dmitry

Antony Stubbs

Jan 22, 2010, 5:18:39 PM1/22/10
to dsklyut, spring-modules-fork
I have sent several emails to spring regarding extensions and have never received a reply. very discouraging. i did all that before starting this fork. So - the whole SE effort seems pretty flawed too.

Antony Stubbs

Jan 22, 2010, 5:26:32 PM1/22/10
to da...@davidkarlsen.com, dsklyut, spring-modules-fork
I emailed spring through their published process to get the "living" modules projects added as spring extensions and received no reply.

do you have links regarding new modules projects being added?

On 23/01/2010, at 11:24 AM, da...@davidkarlsen.com wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:
>
>> I have sent several emails to spring regarding extensions and have never received a reply. very discouraging. i did all that before starting this fork. So - the whole SE effort seems pretty flawed too.

> Same here (see the forum for spring).
>
> I think it's sensible to stick to the spring extensions where they are already in place (I dropped db40 and another module for those reasons).
>
> Some of the modules have been added quite recently - so there seems to be some development going on over there, although little communication.
>
> --
> David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
> http://www.davidkarlsen.com
> http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com
> Sent from my bog-standard SMTP client

Antony Stubbs

Jan 22, 2010, 5:32:39 PM1/22/10
to da...@davidkarlsen.com, dsklyut, spring-modules-fork
>> do you have links regarding new modules projects being added?
> http://www.springsource.org/extensions/list
> It's not cronological though, but AFAIK surf and integration adapters are quite new.

Wow that's changed a lot since I last saw it, but it still seems modules is quite exclusive - so that's a little reassuring regarding duplicated effort :)

da...@davidkarlsen.com

Jan 22, 2010, 5:29:54 PM1/22/10
to Antony Stubbs, dsklyut, spring-modules-fork
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> I emailed spring through their published process to get the "living" modules projects added as spring extensions and received no reply.

Same here.

> do you have links regarding new modules projects being added?

http://www.springsource.org/extensions/list
It's not cronological though, but AFAIK surf and integration adapters are
quite new.

da...@davidkarlsen.com

Jan 22, 2010, 5:24:22 PM1/22/10
to Antony Stubbs, dsklyut, spring-modules-fork
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> I have sent several emails to spring regarding extensions and have never received a reply. very discouraging. i did all that before starting this fork. So - the whole SE effort seems pretty flawed too.

Same here (see the forum for spring).

I think it's sensible to stick to the spring extensions where they are
already in place (I dropped db40 and another module for those reasons).

Some of the modules have been added quite recently - so there seems to be
some development going on over there, although little communication.

davidkarlsen

Jan 28, 2010, 12:54:53 PM1/28/10
to spring-modules-fork
I've reintegrated dsklyt's fork into my master, and also fixed the
last test that was failing.
You might want to pull this antony - I've tested and it should apply
cleanly to your current master.

da...@davidkarlsen.com

Jan 28, 2010, 1:04:30 PM1/28/10
to spring-modules-fork

toolman:
http://sharca.com:8080/job/spring-modules%20toolman/org.springmodules$spring-modules-validation-base/4/testReport/org.springmodules.validation.valang.javascript/ValangJavaScriptTranslatorTests/testTranslator1SimpleRule/?

is this easy to fix - I have no idea what's causing it - but if you get it
running we could merge it back into the master-master :)

Antony Stubbs

Jan 29, 2010, 3:05:46 PM1/29/10
to da...@davidkarlsen.com, spring-modules-fork
Hi guys. I've just pushed tompson-author-fix and padlotdlFix which fixes up some of their commits that had problems.

However - David, I haven't been able to merge padlotdlFix's without failing tests and i haven't tried merging tompson's yet. If you guys could check out my versions of their work (tompson-author-fix and padlotdlFix - they just did author re-writes and some commit squashing to track renames properly) and try get your work merging cleanly - or do what david does and merge it for me?

:)

cheers guys!

Antony Stubbs

Jan 29, 2010, 3:10:42 PM1/29/10
to davidkarlsen, spring-modules-fork
Will do. Have a go with pablotdlFix and tompson-author-fix2 ? :)I couldn't get to merge without failing tests. I have a *hunch* it's dependency version issues.

Pablo Saavedra

Jan 29, 2010, 3:20:52 PM1/29/10
to Antony Stubbs, davidkarlsen, spring-modules-fork
Hey, sorry for the lack of communication. Let me know what tests fail for you and I'll see if I can take care. I'm a little overwhelmed with work at this moment, so I apologize, but I'll anything I can to help.

Regards.

Antony Stubbs

Jan 29, 2010, 3:30:45 PM1/29/10
to Pablo Saavedra, davidkarlsen, spring-modules-fork
No worries. Just
Git fetch origin/pabtoldfix
Git checkout origin/master - you'll prolly need to make a local branch for it.
Gut merge origin/pabtoldfix
Mvn clean test

Or something like that ;) and see if it merges clean or fails tests...

Note you can't work on your master anymore - it's been sort of modified. You have to work with my master and my pabtoldfix branch.

Regards,
Antony Stubbs

website: sharca.com

Thomas Einwaller

Jan 29, 2010, 3:44:41 PM1/29/10
to spring-modules-fork
hey guys, I just saw my name in the tompson-author-fix - should I join
in and do something? how could I help?

On Jan 29, 9:30 pm, Antony Stubbs <antony.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No worries. Just
> Git fetch origin/pabtoldfix
> Git checkout origin/master - you'll prolly need to make a local branch for
> it.
> Gut merge origin/pabtoldfix
> Mvn clean test
>
> Or something like that ;) and see if it merges clean or fails tests...
>
> Note you can't work on your master anymore - it's been sort of modified. You
> have to work with my master and my pabtoldfix branch.
>
> Regards,
> Antony Stubbs
>
> website: sharca.com
>

> On 30/01/2010, at 9:20 AM, Pablo Saavedra <pablo.a.saave...@gmail.com>

> wrote:
>
> Hey, sorry for the lack of communication. Let me know what tests fail for
> you and I'll see if I can take care. I'm a little overwhelmed with work at
> this moment, so I apologize, but I'll anything I can to help.
>
> Regards.
>

> 2010/1/29 Antony Stubbs <antony.stu...@gmail.com>

> > Will do. Have a go with pablotdlFix and tompson-author-fix2 ? :)I couldn't
> > get to merge without failing tests. I have a *hunch* it's dependency version
> > issues.
>
> > On 29/01/2010, at 6:54 AM, davidkarlsen wrote:
>
> > > I've reintegrated dsklyt's fork into my master, and also fixed the
> > > last test that was failing.
> > > You might want to pull this antony - I've tested and it should apply
> > > cleanly to your current master.
>
> > > --

> > spring-modules-...@googlegroups.com<spring-modules-fork%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/spring-modules-fork?hl=en.
>
> > --

> > spring-modules-...@googlegroups.com<spring-modules-fork%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Antony Stubbs

Jan 29, 2010, 4:01:53 PM1/29/10
to Thomas Einwaller, spring-modules-fork
Yup - try to merge my tompson-author-fix with my master

Regards,
Antony Stubbs

website: sharca.com

On 30/01/2010, at 9:44 AM, Thomas Einwaller

Thomas Einwaller

Jan 29, 2010, 4:32:28 PM1/29/10
to spring-modules-fork
sorry, as you may already have noticed I am not a very advanced git
user ... how could I merge YOUR tompson-author-fix with YOUR master? I
just know how to merge my branches

On Jan 29, 10:01 pm, Antony Stubbs <antony.stu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yup - try to merge my tompson-author-fix with my master
>
> Regards,
> Antony Stubbs
>
> website: sharca.com
>
> On 30/01/2010, at 9:44 AM, Thomas Einwaller

Antony Stubbs

Jan 31, 2010, 6:03:10 PM1/31/10
to da...@davidkarlsen.com, spring-modules-fork
It wasn't so much that the branch didn't work, but that when combining
it with the new master - it didn't work. Did you try that? The change
you made doesn't look like it would fix the problems I saw.

On Sunday, January 31, 2010, <da...@davidkarlsen.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Jan 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:
>

> Hi guys. I've just pushed tompson-author-fix and padlotdlFix which fixes up some of their commits that had problems.
>
> However - David, I haven't been able to merge padlotdlFix's without failing tests and i haven't tried merging tompson's yet. If you guys could check out my versions of their work (tompson-author-fix and padlotdlFix - they just did author re-writes and some commit squashing to track renames properly) and try get your work merging cleanly - or do what david does and merge it for me?
>

> I've fixed pablotdlFix and have named my branch pablotdlFix as well - if you pull that in it should work fine.

> --
> David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
> http://www.davidkarlsen.com
> http://mp3.davidkarlsen.com
> Sent from my bog-standard SMTP client

--
___________________________
http://stubbisms.wordpress.com/

Antony Stubbs

Feb 1, 2010, 5:34:17 PM2/1/10
to da...@davidkarlsen.com, spring-modules-fork
Yes, as little as possible should be declared at the top level as dependencies, while minimizing the repetition in child projects.

I have just pushed "mergeAttempt" which is the combination I'm having trouble with. If you guys who already worked in those areas could take a look at try to get the tests passing - that would be great.

On 1/02/2010, at 12:26 PM, da...@davidkarlsen.com wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:
>
>> It wasn't so much that the branch didn't work, but that when combining
>> it with the new master - it didn't work. Did you try that? The change
>> you made doesn't look like it would fix the problems I saw.
>

> Both JCR and lucene need lucene - but with different versions.
> Let it be dragged in transitively in the jcr module, and declare a dependency for it directly in the lucene module.
>
> I think we should only have a few common libraries controlled at the toplevel, like logging and the spring framework itself.

Antony Stubbs

Feb 1, 2010, 5:37:02 PM2/1/10
to Thomas Einwaller, spring-modules-fork
Ok, firstly to a:
git fetch
then run :
git checkout -b tompson-author-fix origin/tompson-author-fix
which will give you you're own copy of tompson-author-fix
then go:
git merge origin/master
which will merge the two branches.
Fix any conflicts, and then try to get the build running clean :)

da...@davidkarlsen.com

Jan 31, 2010, 6:26:21 PM1/31/10
to Antony Stubbs, spring-modules-fork
On Mon, 1 Feb 2010, Antony Stubbs wrote:

> It wasn't so much that the branch didn't work, but that when combining
> it with the new master - it didn't work. Did you try that? The change
> you made doesn't look like it would fix the problems I saw.

Both JCR and lucene need lucene - but with different versions.

Let it be dragged in transitively in the jcr module, and declare a
dependency for it directly in the lucene module.

I think we should only have a few common libraries controlled at the
toplevel, like logging and the spring framework itself.

da...@davidkarlsen.com

Jan 30, 2010, 2:59:40 PM1/30/10