Unable to run db:bootstrap on Windows XP

r0zh0k

Dec 20, 2009, 6:15:30 PM12/20/09
to Spree
Hi!
I'm trying to create application using Spree, and i get error when
performing db:bootstratp.

Stack trace is:

$rake db:bootstrap --trace
(in D:/home/RubyProjects/Jewelry)
rake aborted!
stack level too deep
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:157:in
`git_base_dir'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:159:in
`git_base_dir'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:33:in
`initialize'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
43:in `new'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
43:in `jeweler'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
11:in `jeweler'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/
gemcutter_tasks.rb:20:in `initialize'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/spree-0.9.4/Rakefile:69:in `new'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/spree-0.9.4/Rakefile:69
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1620:in `load'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1620:in `load'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2451:in
`load_imports'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2390:in
`raw_load_rakefile'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2017:in
`load_rakefile'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
`standard_exception_handling'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2016:in
`load_rakefile'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2000:in `run'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
`standard_exception_handling'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1998:in `run'
E:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/bin/rake:31
E:/Ruby/bin/rake:19:in `load'
E:/Ruby/bin/rake:19

Looks like Jeweler trying to use Git, but Git isn't installed in my
system. I try to remove all stuff that's use Jeweler from Spree
Rakefile and i get much long stacktrace :)

Is there people, who successfully deploy Spree on Windows? Or Spree
isn't like Windows?

Thanks for advice.

r0zh0k

Dec 20, 2009, 8:34:01 PM12/20/09
to Spree
Ah, i forgot, i try to install Ruby, Rails and Spree (from zero) on my
Laptop (with Windows XP) (before this it have been clean) and get same
error.

Sorry for bad English :D

Marcin Raczkowski

Dec 21, 2009, 3:44:45 AM12/21/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
Spree is mainly deployed and developed on Linux or Mac, get one of
those, seriously, you'll love developing under Linux.
If that's not a possibility try instaling git under windows.

--
Marcin Raczkowski

Rails Dog LLC
2 Wisconsin Circle, Suite 700
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
voice: (301)560-2000

Sean Schofield

Dec 21, 2009, 8:37:48 AM12/21/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
If you're just wanting to try it on Windows you can always play with
the Bitnami stacks[1]. I would try that if you're having trouble
installing Rails or any of the other aspects of Spree (these stacks
include everything and are for Windows, Linux, Mac and Solaris.)

Sean Schofield

[1] http://bitnami.org/stack/spree

Rails Dog LLC
2 Wisconsin Circle, Suite 700
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
voice: (301)560-2000

r0zh0k

Dec 21, 2009, 11:53:35 AM12/21/09
to Spree
Thank you, guys, i will try to install MacOS/some Linux as virtual
machine. It's good to add to Spree quickstart guide lines like 'Spree
isn't run on Windows from box'.

Tom N

Dec 21, 2009, 3:18:12 PM12/21/09
to Spree
I ran into the same problem this morning. I'm also running on Windows
XP.

If you use the quickstart guide, but get the latest source code, it
will work. At least, so far so good for me.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Roman Smirnov

Dec 22, 2009, 5:28:20 AM12/22/09
to Spree
> 'Spree isn't run on Windows from box'.

It will be lies. You should just install Ruby, MySQL, Git, RoR and
several gems before run, but it is normally. Just requirements.

r0zh0k

Dec 22, 2009, 8:45:07 AM12/22/09
to Spree
What git should i install? 900mb monster msysGit? I'll try to install
them, and get absolutley same error.

r0zh0k

Dec 22, 2009, 9:00:49 AM12/22/09
to Spree
Hmm, looks like i install git incorrectly. I try to install them
according to several guides, and, i hope, Spree will works.
Thanks for help.

Roman Smirnov

Dec 22, 2009, 3:17:19 PM12/22/09
to Spree
> What git should i install? 900mb monster msysGit?

Are you kidding?
http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/Git-1.6.5.1-preview20091022.exe
It's only 11.6 Mb.

Besides, I'm sure, that you also need http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
Not required, but I think console-version of git will be too difficult
for you.

Christopher Maujean

Dec 22, 2009, 3:23:26 PM12/22/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
After installing spree on windows and playing a bit, I managed to
convince my client (who was Absolutely 100% Set On Windows) to deploy
to Linux instead. A medium EC2 instance running Windows Server
Datacenter edition with spree in production mode is about 50 times
slower than spree in development mode on webrick on a fedora 8 EC2
small instance. It turns out that there are inherent problems with
windows and ruby that are probably not going to go away any time soon.
If you can possibly avoid windows, do so.

--Christopher

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Roman Smirnov <pom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What git should i install? 900mb monster msysGit?
>
> Are you kidding?
> http://msysgit.googlecode.com/files/Git-1.6.5.1-preview20091022.exe
> It's only 11.6 Mb.
>
> Besides, I'm sure, that you also need http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/
> Not required, but I think console-version of git will be too difficult
> for you.
>
> On Dec 22, 4:45 pm, r0zh0k <xpunk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What git should i install? 900mb monster msysGit? I'll try to install
>> them, and get absolutley same error.

>> > It will be lies. You should just install Ruby, MySQL, Git, RoR and
>> > several gems before run, but it is normally. Just requirements.

Vladimir Rozhkov

Dec 22, 2009, 3:37:12 PM12/22/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
I need Spree on Windows only for developing, production will be run on unix-like system, of course :)

Vladimir Rozhkov

Dec 22, 2009, 3:41:22 PM12/22/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
Wow, i miss this package. Thanks!

I don't like tortoise, otherway, IDE, which i using have plugin for git integration.

Vladimir Rozhkov

Dec 22, 2009, 4:41:10 PM12/22/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
Well, i install git, create git dir in project directory, then run db:bootstrap, get another error (with haml), google for it, found solution by Roman, downgrade to haml 2.2.0 and everithyng works! Thanks all!

Sean Schofield

Dec 22, 2009, 3:44:57 PM12/22/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
Git is a development tool and not required to run Spree. It's an
excellent tool in it's own right (used by the Linux team to maintain
the kernel.).

I would agree that running any ROR app in windows is pointless. I
think it's fine to play in Windows but once you decide you like it,
switch to unix.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 22, 2009, at 3:23 PM, Christopher Maujean <cmau...@gmail.com>

Vladimir Rozhkov

Dec 23, 2009, 6:39:36 AM12/23/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
2009/12/22 Sean Schofield <se...@railsdog.com>

Git is a development tool and not required to run Spree.  It's an
excellent tool in it's own right (used by the Linux team to maintain
the kernel.).

I knew what is Git, but without them db:bootstrap run with errors. I install git and all works fine :) Yes, spree doesn't need Git :)

I would agree that running any ROR app in windows is pointless.  I
think it's fine to play in Windows but once you decide you like it,
 switch to unix.

Why? Servers are equal, mysql on win/nix equal, IDE equal. But, tomorrow, when i first start spree, it works very, very slowly. My other RoR applications runs fast.

Sean Schofield

Dec 23, 2009, 4:01:37 PM12/23/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
> I knew what is Git, but without them db:bootstrap run with errors. I install
> git and all works fine :) Yes, spree doesn't need Git :)

Woops. This must be an unintended consequence of using
jeweler/gemcutter. I've submitted a ticket[1] and we'll fix that in
the edge ASAP. You are experiencing this with the edge code right?

Sean

[1] http://railsdog.lighthouseapp.com/projects/31096-spree/tickets/1008-remove-git-dependency

Sean Schofield

Dec 23, 2009, 4:33:50 PM12/23/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
It seems the jeweler gem requires the git gem which in turn complains
about git not being installed. I wonder if you would see the error if
you simply did not install jeweler? Did you install jeweler manually?

IIRC, its not required by Spree but you do get a nagging error message
whenever you run a rake task. I still may end up rolling our own
version of jeweler that does not require the git gem. I find it
annoying that the git gem complains about my git version every time I
fire up rake.

Sean Schofield

Rails Dog LLC
2 Wisconsin Circle, Suite 700
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
voice: (301)560-2000

Vladimir Rozhkov

Dec 23, 2009, 5:13:44 PM12/23/09
to spree...@googlegroups.com
I install spree gem, run spree -g .., than run rake gems install (or something like this), than rake db:bootstrap.
Rake says, that Jeweler isn't installed. I run gem install jeweler, and than again try to db:bootstrap. Than i found this usergroup and post message about my trouble :)

I install git and everything works fine exept very, very slowly rendering of spree pages. Is this normal? My pc conf is Athlon 2200+, 2GB Ram. Is there way to speed up spree (may be my computer to slow for quries?)

Roman Smirnov

Dec 24, 2009, 4:29:42 AM12/24/09
to Spree
> Is there way to speed up spree?

Yes, delete Windows and install Linux or MacOS X. :-)

On Dec 24, 1:13 am, Vladimir Rozhkov <xpunk...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I install spree gem, run spree -g .., than run rake gems install (or
> something like this), than rake db:bootstrap.
> Rake says, that Jeweler isn't installed. I run gem install jeweler, and than
> again try to db:bootstrap. Than i found this usergroup and post message
> about my trouble :)
>
> I install git and everything works fine exept very, very slowly rendering of
> spree pages. Is this normal? My pc conf is Athlon 2200+, 2GB Ram. Is there
> way to speed up spree (may be my computer to slow for quries?)
>

> 2009/12/23 Sean Schofield <s...@railsdog.com>

> > It seems the jeweler gem requires the git gem which in turn complains
> > about git not being installed.  I wonder if you would see the error if
> > you simply did not install jeweler?  Did you install jeweler manually?
>
> > IIRC, its not required by Spree but you do get a nagging error message
> > whenever you run a rake task.  I still may end up rolling our own
> > version of jeweler that does not require the git gem.  I find it
> > annoying that the git gem complains about my git version every time I
> > fire up rake.
>
> > Sean Schofield

> > Rails Dog LLC
> > 2 Wisconsin Circle, Suite 700
> > Chevy Chase, MD 20815
> > voice: (301)560-2000

> > install
>
> > > Woops.  This must be an unintended consequence of using
> > > jeweler/gemcutter.  I've submitted a ticket[1] and we'll fix that in
> > > the edge ASAP.  You are experiencing this with the edge code right?
>
> > > Sean
>
> > > [1]

> >http://railsdog.lighthouseapp.com/projects/31096-spree/tickets/1008-r...

> > --

> > spree-user+...@googlegroups.com<spree-user%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

SpreeDeveloper

Jan 5, 2010, 11:54:41 AM1/5/10
to Spree
Hi,
I have a similar problem when I do rake gems:install.
I get the following:

rake aborted!
stack level too deep
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:158:in
`git_base_dir'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:159:in
`git_base_dir'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler.rb:33:in
`initialize'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
43:in `new'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
43:in `jeweler'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/tasks.rb:
11:in `jeweler'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/jeweler-1.4.0/lib/jeweler/
gemcutter_tasks.rb:20:in `initialize'
C:/eGroupyBase/EG/rakefile:69:in `new'
C:/eGroupyBase/EG/rakefile:69
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2383:in `load'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2383:in
`raw_load_rakefile'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2017:in
`load_rakefile'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
`standard_exception_handling'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2016:in
`load_rakefile'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2000:in `run'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2068:in
`standard_exception_handling'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:1998:in `run'
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/bin/rake:31
c:/ruby/bin/rake:19:in `load'
c:/ruby/bin/rake:19

I don't get it,
I used it before and it was just fine...
this time, I just downloaded the code from the site and didn't use
git...
Any idea?

> > > install

> > >http://railsdog.lighthouseapp.com/projects/31096-spree/tickets/1008-r...
>
> > > --

> > > .
> > > For more options, visit this group at

> > >http://groups.google.com/group/spree-user?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Maryana

Jan 8, 2010, 4:26:13 PM1/8/10
to Spree
Hi!

Seems I have same problem and this one helps me:
1) cd spree_code_installed_dir
2) create empty repository with git init
after that stack level problem do not appears any more

but i receive next problem with haml
---
rake db:bootstrap
(in C:/work/code-v2/code-spree)
rake aborted!
undefined method `av_template_class' for Haml::Util:Module
---

there are thread #996 abot this problem exists
shortly to resolve:
3) use haml 2.2.15 instad of 2.2.16
# gem install haml -v=2.2.15
# gem uninstall -I haml -v=2.2.16

elcid

Jan 18, 2010, 7:24:20 PM1/18/10
to Spree
I get the first problem you talk about
So I should to go my spree directory? Mine looks like this : C:\Ruby
\lib\ruby\gems\1.8\gems\spree-0.9.4
and then create tge repository there? I did that but I still get the
error.

Should it be in one of those folders or am I doing this right?
Thanks :)

Sumi

Jan 18, 2010, 7:41:39 PM1/18/10
to spree...@googlegroups.com
not in the spree gem but in your spree application directory.
run 'git init' in the directory of your spree application

elcid

Jan 18, 2010, 8:22:01 PM1/18/10
to Spree

Wow....that was it. Thank you!