Announce Excel::Writer::XLSX 0.86

jmcnamara

Mar 18, 2015, 5:18:04 AM3/18/15
to spreadsheet...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Version 0.86 of Excel::Writer::XLSX has been released to CPAN and should be available on the various mirrors.

This release contains a long requested feature: combined charts.

It is now possible to create chart like the one in the image. See the docs, and example files for more details:

   https://metacpan.org/pod/Excel::Writer::XLSX::Chart#Combined-Charts

Regards,

John

Vijay Bajwa

Apr 2, 2015, 5:37:16 PM4/2/15
to spreadsheet...@googlegroups.com
Hi John - thanks for this.
I want to switch to this module, from Spreadsheet::WriteExcel because of text truncation to 255 characters in the latter.
Using cygwin (perl 5.14), I am able to run Excel::Writer after I locally added the following packages:
    - excel-writer-xlsx-master - version 0.81
    - Archive-Zip-1.45

However, in our dev environment, it's another story. We have Perl 5.10.0
So far I have downloaded the following packages which are needed for Excel::Writer:
    - excel-writer-xlsx-master - version 0.81
    - Archive-Zip-1.45
    - File-Path-2.09
    - File-Temp-0.2304
    - parent-0.231

Just want to know, what is the lowest level of Perl needed for Excel::Writer. And as for the above Modules, do these come with some standard Perl version, or do we just have to get whatever it wants, one by one?

Thanks so much!

jmcnamara

Apr 3, 2015, 6:11:15 AM4/3/15

On Thursday, 2 April 2015 22:37:16 UTC+1, Vijay Bajwa wrote:

Just want to know, what is the lowest level of Perl needed for Excel::Writer. And as for the above Modules, do these come with some standard Perl version, or do we just have to get whatever it wants, one by one?

Hi Vijay,

Like all/most Perl modules the requirements are listed in Makefile.PL:

    http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/JMCNAMARA/Excel-Writer-XLSX-0.83/Makefile.PL

They are:

require 5.008002;

my %deps = (
    'Archive::Zip' => 1.30,
    'IO::File'     => 1.14,
    'File::Temp'   => 0.19,
);

You don't have to install File::Temp 0.19 in Perl 5.14 because it (or a later version) is already in the core. You do have to install it for Perl 5.10.

If you use an installer such as cpan.pm or cpanminus then it should automatically install all of the dependencies for you.

Regards,

John
.

Vijay Bajwa

Apr 3, 2015, 6:18:31 PM4/3/15
to spreadsheet...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John! Shows how little I know about Perl. Clearly I have some learning to do.

Best Regards,
Vijay