Using ParseExcel and FmtUnicode

Howard Bozenhard

Feb 16, 2016, 11:06:55 AM2/16/16
to Spreadsheet::WriteExcel
I know this group is specifically for WriteExcel (an excellent module!) I have a problem using Spreadsheet Parse Excel to read unicode characters.  Hopefully someone can guide me.

I am using:
use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel;
use Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::FmtUnicode;

The source spreadsheet (xls) has characters like this:
Prešovská 16

Which is a street address

When I read this with the formatter, I get gibberish

I believe I am using the tool correctly:
 my $parser   = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel->new();
 my $formatter = Spreadsheet::ParseExcel::FmtUnicode->new();
 my $workbook = $parser->parse($filename,$formatter);

Then, to read the cell:
$val = $cell->value();
$valuf = $cell->unformatted();

The result of $val and $valuf are the same.

Can anyone see what I am missing?

Thanks
hcbsez