Lacking proper attribution for ESM data

Denis Chenu

Sep 28, 2020, 6:14:15 AM9/28/20
to sprawlmap
Hi,

I'm a openstreetmap contributor , and i'm really happy to see such usage of openstreetmap data.
However, I have noticed that the map didn't have clear and proper credit. First of all you must clearly include te crdit for all contributors with a required sentence “© OpenStreetMap contributors”.
You must also make it clear that the data is available under Open Database License. You can mention this with a link to https://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright.

I already see the sentence about OpenStreetMap on About/Map. But this must be improved.
When the correction has been made, please let me know.
Thanks,
Denis

sprawlmap

Sep 28, 2020, 6:29:22 AM9/28/20
to sprawlmap

Hi Denis,
  Thank you for writing, as well as thank you for your contributions to OpenStreetMap.

 We certainly do not want to under-acknowledge or under-advertise OSM. And in fact you can make explicit changes to any of the text on the web site by suggesting edits on this page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/1/d/11A0JWtWDZPWoNoOhcuevHd8nj_cyYLoO0kcUCSrmkpI

 However, we also don't want to suggest that the street-level data we're showing are actual OpenStreetMap data because, as you will see if you look in detail, that could cause considerable consternation. For that reason we offer a link to the OSM view from anywhere on our map.

To be clear, we carry out considerable pre-processing and some topological simplification of the street network. This includes a lot of re-drawing of routes at the fine scale.
 So, we're talking about properly acknowledging derived data. I'd be happy to try to do a better job of that, but maybe another round of your advice or pointers to recommendations would be helpful.

Interestingly, a new version in 2021 will likely be a lot truer to OSM, though with more missing ways rather many re-routed streets.

Thanks,
Chris

Denis Chenu

Sep 28, 2020, 12:13:21 PM9/28/20
to sprawlmap
About data from OSM : i check some street near my home, i know other's don't have it.

>  However, we also don't want to suggest that the street-level data we're showing are actual OpenStreetMap data because, as you will see if you look in detail, that could cause considerable consternation. For that reason we offer a link to the OSM view from anywhere on our map.

Yes, see this. Maybe clarify the original licence and copyright only on menu. I check with some other openstreetmap contributor's.

Denis

Denis Chenu

Sep 28, 2020, 12:17:35 PM9/28/20
to sprawlmap
I can not edit sheets (it's OK with this)

Maybe for data_content
<h3> Our research is the product of open-access data and our own open source analysis code.</h3>

cpbl

Sep 29, 2020, 9:13:01 PM9/29/20
to sprawlmap
Thanks, Denis.