TEALS

Stefani Kanzler

Apr 2, 2020, 2:20:41 PM4/2/20
to Sprague/Lamont News/Updates
News
SharedScreenshot.jpg

TEALS

April 1, 2020

Dear Parents and Community Members:

For the 2020-2021 school year, Sprague High School is able to continue to offer the amazing opportunity we started in computer science for our high school students at the beginning of this school year. We will continue to partner with Microsoft Philanthropies TEALS in teaching a computer science course where students learn Python. There are more than 500,000 open computer science positions without qualified talent to fill them across all industries. We are trying to help our students build an educational foundation to ensure a successful future for them in many of these computer science jobs.

Action We’re Taking:

Microsoft Philanthropies TEALS is a program that recruits, mentors, and places passionate technology professionals into high school classrooms as volunteer instructors. These volunteers will bring their expertise and will join Michelle Dennis and Stefani Kanzler again during next school year to teach computer science together. TEALS provides training for students and teachers, rigorous curricula, and opportunities for students to continue their education outside of the classroom.

Our application was recently accepted again for next year to partner with TEALS in this amazing opportunity for our high school students. For this reason, we will offer Introduction to Computer Science during the 2020-2021 school year. This class is based on the award-winning University of California Berkeley CS10 course and is adapted specifically for high schools.

As a TEALS partner school, Sprague High School needs to assist with volunteer recruitment from the computer science and software engineering fields to team-teach these courses with our teachers. Sprague High School will hold the course during sixth period, Monday through Friday. The volunteer(s) who are involved in team-teaching this course will be able to do so either remotely or in person, depending on their location.

Please help--If you or someone you know works in the computer science or software engineering field and would be interested in making a difference in our students’ future success, please contact Grace Waylen (gr...@TEALSk12.org) or apply at Microsoft.com/TEALS

Please also feel free to forward this letter to technical industry professionals in your network. You can read more about TEALS on their website at Microsoft.com/TEALS.

Thank you!

Bill Ressel, Superintendent/Principal

Sprague School District

Facebook
Website

Lunch: “This institution is an equal opportunity provider.”
The new Non-discrimination statement is: In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fax: (202) 690-7442; or email: program...@usda.gov.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.