Networking questions

Sebastian Mayer

Jul 20, 2011, 10:41:50 AM7/20/11
to SpoVNet
Hi,

we've got two questions related to networking.

1) What is the best way to serialize a non-supported data type (e.g.
floats)?
2) Since our application would need real time responses and we can't
use UDP: how can we make ariba to transport our data as fast as
possible? E.g., can we disable nagle's algorithm?

Sebastian Mayer

Jul 20, 2011, 11:13:54 AM7/20/11
to SpoVNet
Another question: how can we get a reference to the node that we
connect to when joining the network?

Sebastian Mies

Jul 20, 2011, 11:28:25 AM7/20/11
to spo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sebastian,

> 1) What is the best way to serialize a non-supported data type (e.g.
> floats)?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think floats are supported.
Have you seen

http://www.ariba-underlay.org/browser/source/ariba/utility/serialization/TestSerialization.cpp

?
It shows some non-supported data type serialization using binary
representations.

> 2) Since our application would need real time responses and we can't
> use UDP: how can we make ariba to transport our data as fast as
> possible? E.g., can we disable nagle's algorithm?

TCP's nagle algorithm is disabled by default. I think TCP should give
you reasonable real-time in a small scenario you may consider for your
application.

Best regards,

Sebastian

--
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
Institut für Telematik

Sebastian Mies
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

Zirkel 2