Ubuntu 10.10 Client

Alicia Choo

Apr 5, 2011, 10:28:06 AM4/5/11
to SpotCloud Buyers
I uploaded and started an Ubuntu 10.10 instance but getting a black
screen after connecting to the provider's IP using the VNC protocol.
Able to see GUI when testing remote desktop locally. Any reason why I
am not seeing a GUI when connected on the spotcloud platform?

Pat Wendorf

Apr 5, 2011, 10:32:13 AM4/5/11
to spotclo...@googlegroups.com, Alicia Choo
Hello Alicia,

By default the Ubuntu 10.10 sample VM will only have ssh access
enabled (username: spotcloud / password: spotcloud), and no desktop
components installed. You can change that by logging in with ssh and
using apt-get to install the remaining components, including the VNC
remote access.

Best regards,
Pat Wendorf

Alicia Choo

Apr 5, 2011, 11:56:36 AM4/5/11
to Pat Wendorf, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
Pat

I did not use the Ubuntu sample provided on spotcloud. Created one from scratch and uploaded my instance onto spotcloud.

Pat Wendorf

Apr 5, 2011, 12:36:57 PM4/5/11
to Alicia Choo, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible you have the VNC port blocked on the VM?

Alicia Choo

Apr 5, 2011, 12:50:18 PM4/5/11
to Pat Wendorf, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
Pat

Before converting the VM to the xvm2 format, I connected to the VM via the Ubuntu native Remote Desktop Viewer successfully using the VNC protocol. Successful = I see the GUI mouse moving etc.

Next, I packaged the VM to the xvm2 format, uploaded it onto spotcloud and created a running instance. Using the same Ubuntu native Remote Desktop Viewer I connected to the running instance IP but when connected, all I get is a black screen.

Pat Wendorf

Apr 6, 2011, 1:50:36 PM4/6/11
to Alicia Choo, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
If you ssh into this VM, do you see the same components running as
when you created it? It's possible that it has stored something from
your environment (/etc/resolv.conf for example) before packaging that
is causing issues with operation outside of the environment. I'd look
at the logs under /var/log/Xorg.log or /var/log/messages to see if
there are components failing to load.

Best regards,
Pat Wendorf

Alicia Choo

Apr 10, 2011, 3:58:16 AM4/10/11
to Pat Wendorf, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pat

Thanks for helping me out here.

In resolv.conf I have the following entries
#generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

---------
Under /var/log/Xorg.log, the following are the two failure lines found in the entire log :

Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)
VirtualBox USB Tablet: Failed to initialize for relative axes

________
Under /var/log/messages

Fast TSC calibration failed

====

Pat Wendorf

Apr 11, 2011, 12:13:02 PM4/11/11
to Alicia Choo, spotclo...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alicia,

The /etc/resolv.conf will definitely not work.  If it's using DHCP, I'm not sure why it didn't update it properly.  If possible, don't let Network Manager handle the network setup, unless it's set to operate on DHCP-only and will not produce static entries for resolv.conf.  As well, you should modify your appliance to use the VESA adapter instead of the VBox specific one for XOrg.

Best regards,
Pat Wendorf