Athlete Representation

Alice Swanberg

Nov 21, 2013, 7:19:58 PM11/21/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
Problems:

As Tom noted, the overlap between Stats and Person is notable. I've suggested some subclasses for SportsStatistics, based on the earlier sports models. Vicki, could you take a look at what I've done with the unique boxing properties, especially BoxingChampion, and tell me if it's off-base from your intent? I had a fistful of properties from NASCAR's NascarRanking class that I didn't integrate in this model, we should look at those a bit, too.

Additions to Person class (These apply to any person, regardless of profession)

    property: weight [expectedType: QuantitativeValue]
    property: height [expectedType: QuantitativeValue]
    property: handed [enum: right,left]

class: SportPerson
    property: role [expectedType: SportsOrganization] (do we want to move this to Person/Organization? It seems useful beyond Sports, and more specific than affiliated)
subClass: Athlete
property: position [expectedType: SportPosition]
property: statistics [expectedType: SportsStatistics]
property: coachedBy [expectedType: Coach]
property: playsFor [expectedType: SportsTeam] [inverse: roster]
property: sport [expectedType: Sport]
subClass: Golfer
property: currentRanking [expectedType: GolferRanking]
subClass:Boxer
subClass:BoxingChampion
property: weightClass [BoxingWeightClass]
property: wonTitleOn [Date]
property: lastDefenseDate [Date]
property: titleHolder [Boxer]
subClass:BaseballPlayer
property: throws
property: bats
subClass: Coach
subClass: SportsOfficial

Class: SportStatistics
subClass: GolferRanking
property: rankingSystem
property: rankSetRank [integer]
property: rankSetDate [integer]
property: rankScore [Number (may be points or cash winnings)]
subClass: BoxerWeightClass
property: winsByKnockOut [expectedType: Number]
property: noContests [expectedType: Number]
subClass: BaseballPlayerStats
property:atBat [expectedType: Number]
property:basesStolen [expectedType: Number]
property:battingAverage [expectedType: Number]
property:gamesPlayed [expectedType: Number]
property:homeruns [expectedType: Number]
property:onBasePercentage [expectedType: Number]
property:RBI [expectedType: Number]
property:runs [expectedType: Number]
property:runsAllowed [expectedType: Number]
property:saves [expectedType: Number]
property:strikeouts [expectedType: Number]
property:walksAllowed [expectedType: Number]
property:walksTaken [expectedType: Number]

Vicki Tardif Holland

Nov 22, 2013, 1:26:07 PM11/22/13
to sports-sch...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it would be easier to handle the boxing use case if for a given boxer we have something like:

ChampionshipsHeld
   weightClass
   titleWonDate
   titleLostDate
   sponsoringOrganization (WBA, IBF, etc)

NASCAR is a weird case. Maybe for now we go with a generic ranking system and create a NASCAR-specific subclass later.

Vicki

Vicki Tardif Holland | Ontologist | vta...@google.com