Olympic medals by nation AND gender?

Will Hopkins

Nov 20, 2021, 8:05:06 PM11/20/21
to SportExSci
Does anyone know of a list of Tokyo medals won by females and males in each nation? Ditto the Sochi medals? It's easy to find lists of medals by nation, but the breakdown by nation and gender doesn't seem to be out there.

Will

Jeff Rothschild

Nov 20, 2021, 10:05:18 PM11/20/21
to SportExSci
Hi Will,

I was able to get the Sochi data from a Tidy Tuesday dataset. I've attached a csv of the medal count by medal, nation, and sex, and all medal winners, as well as the R code below for how I got there...

Screen Shot 2021-11-21 at 3.40.10 PM.png

library(tidyverse)
library(tidytuesdayR)

tt_data <- tt_load("2021-07-27")
df <- tt_data$olympics

sochi_medals_data <- df %>%
  filter(games == "2014 Winter") %>%
  filter(!is.na(medal))

medals_by_sex_nation <- sochi_medals_data %>%
  group_by(sex, noc, medal) %>%
  count(sort = T)

Best,

Jeff Rothschild