specs run slower under spork -- what'd I do wrong?

Oo Ales

May 6, 2011, 4:35:55 PM5/6/11
to sporkgem
I did a simple test with Spork rc5 in our Rails 3 app. Installed the
spork gem without a problem. Without spork server, 700 model specs
take about 6.5 minutes. With spork server and no changes to
spec_helper file, they run in 7 minutes. With every line in
spec_helper moved into the pre-fork block, and restarting the spork
server, they run somewhat over 7 minutes. OK, what am I missing?

Tim Harper

May 6, 2011, 4:42:32 PM5/6/11
to spor...@googlegroups.com
It's the drb overhead.  Could be resolved by using unix sockets rather than communicating output over DRB.

Spork's mission is to reduce the time between making changes and seeing if your changes worked or not.  Not to speed up the runtime of your overall spec suite.

Tim

Oo Ales

May 8, 2011, 9:59:33 PM5/8/11
to spor...@googlegroups.com
Thanks -- Your explanation of Spork's mission confirms my original understanding of how it could help, and I let myself get talked into believing that it would also improve a large suite.  Glad that's settled.