Spork/RSpec 2/Rails 3 integration

Ashley Moran

Mar 22, 2010, 11:28:26 AM3/22/10
to spor...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I've been working on and off lately on updating RSpec 2 with DRb support so Spork can be used with Rails 3. I think in principle I've got it working. There are changes needed on both sides, although much less in Spork. Currently the code lives in my rspec-core issue_2_drb_support branch[1] and spork issue_27_rspec2_support branch[2].

Currently the main obstacle to tidying up Spork is getting both RSpec 1.3/Rails 2.5 and RSpec 2/Rails 3 under test in the same feature run. I plan to next start to integrate Aruba[3] unless there is any reason not to...

It should be easy to merge my changes into Spork as there's only one commit since I started work. Merging RSpec 2 will take some work (mainly due to by inability to use git), I need to speak to David about that. Then I can clean up the RSpec code, as I got it just runnable enough to integrate with Spork.

I did have specific issues with some features not running, but the sensible next step seems to be to get Aruba in and eliminate anything environmental first before I ask about them.

Ashley

[1] http://github.com/ashleymoran/rspec-core/tree/issue_2_drb_support
[2] http://github.com/ashleymoran/spork/tree/issue_27_rspec2_support
[3] http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/aruba

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran

Tim Harper

Mar 23, 2010, 1:57:43 AM3/23/10
to spor...@googlegroups.com

This is excellent news! I checked out your fork really quick. It appears that there are about 6 patches or so now? Anyways I'm excited about this and want to get to merging this in soon. Life is very busy as I'm swamped with homework.   Will get to it as soon as I can.

Tim

Ashley Moran

Mar 23, 2010, 3:13:49 PM3/23/10
to spor...@googlegroups.com

On 23 Mar 2010, at 5:57 AM, Tim Harper wrote:

> This is excellent news! I checked out your fork really quick. It appears that there are about 6 patches or so now? Anyways I'm excited about this and want to get to merging this in soon. Life is very busy as I'm swamped with homework. Will get to it as soon as I can.

Hi Tim

I've started working on the more sweeping change to get Spork using Aruba, which I haven't pushed any bits of yet. I have most of the non-forking feature steps working. It's harder than I expected due to the BackgroundJob stuff. Heads up though: Aslak has a branch with some background process support.

I was hoping to make Spork auto-detect RSpec 1.3 and 2, but the current framework doesn't offer scope for it. RSpec 2 does not change the helper file (spec/spec_helper.rb), so the decision would have to be made on file contents. I thought about doing this, then I realised that at some point, RSpec 1.3 will be obsolete. So for now, you have to start spork with "spork rspec2" - you can switch that to "spork rspec13" when RSpec 2 is a sensible default.

One other point I was going to raise is that before anything gets released we need to settle on the RSpec API that Spork calls. (You can see what it currently is in my fork.) I'll have to ask David what he thinks (don't know if he actively follows this list), but I was thinking maybe:

Rspec.run_command(args, err, out)

Right that's a brain dump of some things that have come up along the way. I'm sure there are more but they'll be scribbled in my pad at work :)

Keep you posted

Cheers
Ash