Something from Wikipedia

HappyGeography

Aug 31, 2015, 1:22:58 PM8/31/15
to Sporcle University
I know that Wikipedia is not the greatest place,but it says on Wikipedia "From 1975 to 2015 there was a dispute over the name of a mountain in Alaska, the centerpiece of Denali National Park and Preserve. The mountain is the highest peak in North America.

The mountain was originally known as "Denali" meaning "the great one" in the Athabaskan languages of the Alaska Natives living around the mountain, until being officially named "Mount McKinley" in 1917 to commemorate William McKinley, the assassinated U.S. president. Alaska first requested in 1975 that the mountain be officially recognized as Denali, as it was still the common name used in the state. Attempts by the Alaskan state government to have Mount McKinley's name changed by the federal government were blocked by members of the congressional delegation from Ohio, the home state of the mountain's presidential namesake. In August 2015, through executive order, the Obama administration changed the name of the mountain to Denali." and

  • "The United States announces the renaming of Mount McKinley (pictured) in Alaska to its traditional name of Denali."
  • It might need quizzes to be changed.

Ubbiebubbie

Aug 31, 2015, 2:25:17 PM8/31/15
to Sporcle University

HappyGeography

Aug 31, 2015, 7:39:21 PM8/31/15
to Sporcle University

Ubbiebubbie

Aug 31, 2015, 9:36:26 PM8/31/15
to Sporcle University
It's just an article that says the same thing! Mount McKinley will be renamed Denali, and that probably will impact quizzes, but not by a ton (I'd wager most quizzes display McKinley but accept Denali).

For anyone wanting more, The Daily Show did a good piece on it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/814835

HappyGeography

Aug 31, 2015, 10:44:25 PM8/31/15
to Sporcle University

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 8:36:26 PM UTC-5, Ubbiebubbie wrote:
It's just an article that says the same thing! Mount McKinley will be renamed Denali, and that probably will impact quizzes, but not by a ton (I'd wager most quizzes display McKinley but accept Denali).

For anyone wanting more, The Daily Show did a good piece on it: http://www.hulu.com/watch/814835
It's probably pretty easy to do it. Just rename what the text looks like from Mt McKinley to Denali.
I laugh at Ohio.

iglew

Sep 1, 2015, 3:25:55 PM9/1/15
to Sporcle University
I see that the neighboring mountain is still called Mount Foraker. After 125 years, Joseph Foraker finally prevails over his Ohio rival!