What country do you always seem to forget?

mdalloway

Sep 25, 2012, 10:58:40 PM9/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
We all have them: the country that your brain simply doesn't believe exists. Or tries to suppress memories of.

Which one is yours? Do you have multiple examples?

For me, I always seem to forget --get this-- Germany. Which is really bad, considering two of my profs are German, and I used to live with Germans. The other bad one for me is Fiji. Sure, I can easily name the rest of the South Pacific, but beautiful, popular Fiji? *poof*

googlebird

Sep 25, 2012, 11:47:22 PM9/25/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I know exactly what you are describing. For me it's not a country, but a musician. I can hear a song...I can picture his face... and I always think to my self...that's that guy that I can never think of his name...but I know exactly who he is! For me it's Phil Collins. I'm surprised I thought of it just now.

Norwegian_dude

Sep 26, 2012, 5:12:05 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My brain like to forget Malawi, Burkina Faso and Taiwan. Also, about half of the times, I get the pacific countries right. Otherwise, it's always Samoa or Tuvalu to blame.

Quizmaster91

Sep 26, 2012, 10:41:27 AM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
My forgotten country WAS Sierra Leone, but as of late I remember it as the country I always forgot... Its place has been taken by Brunei or Cape Verde. For the pacific countries, it's mostly Tonga or Samoa that slips my brain, if any are.

Geo1

Sep 26, 2012, 1:29:31 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
According to my stats page one of the countries that I've missed the most is Mexico. I have no idea why.
For country quizzes that aren't 'Countries of the World' I sometimes forget Nauru, Cape Verde, Barbados, and the UAE.
But I never, never, forget Kyrgyzstan.

Derek Pharr

Sep 26, 2012, 1:36:06 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Comoros...I have no idea why, but even in trying to remember my most forgotten country I had a hard time thinking of it.

Derek Pharr, Vice President of Products

t: @dpharr

Sporcle, Inc., Seattle

Daniel Hodgson

Sep 26, 2012, 2:39:13 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

I always forget Togo and cape Verde, however there are probably others that I am forgetting for obvious reasons...

BanjoZebra

Sep 26, 2012, 2:44:29 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Malawi. Stupid Malawi.

SproutCM

Sep 26, 2012, 5:13:38 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I hadn't played the countries of the world quiz since 2009, and I had played it like 4 times, and I had always missed some random smattering of 5-10 countries. So, when the badge came out, I took it 4 more times, once a day, until I got them all.  On day 3, with 5.5 minutes left, I had ONE country missing, and I couldn't figure out which little crap country I had missed.
.
.
.
.
I had not typed in Russia.

triplet_3

Sep 26, 2012, 5:39:00 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Always Burkina Faso, without fail, as well as a few others that I've forgotten. ;)

Ubbiebubbie

Sep 26, 2012, 6:35:32 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's always Bulgaria.

Always.

Rob Patchen

Sep 26, 2012, 6:37:24 PM9/26/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Banjo Zebra. All the Ms are hard (Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Malta), but especially Malawi.

RobPro

Sep 27, 2012, 6:39:47 AM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
More recently I have been forgetting Liberia and Angola.

Nanners

Sep 27, 2012, 1:08:02 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Canada. I always forget about Canada.

The_Architect

Sep 27, 2012, 2:15:11 PM9/27/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Sao Tome and Principe, Cape Verde and Nauru. I have done the countries quiz a thousand times and have gotten all but those 3 2/3 of the time.

Colmar

Oct 6, 2012, 2:58:30 AM10/6/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
 Philippines! I always group China/Taiwan/Koreas/Japan and I group Laos/Vietnam/Thailand/Malaysia/Cambodia/Singapore/Indonesia/Brunei. It's far enough to not naturally be transitioned into but close enough to not stick out in my mental map!

wasteoflawtime

Oct 10, 2012, 5:32:41 PM10/10/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
GASP!!!!  I forget the Philippines, too!  Colmar, you just made me feel a lot better.  The second I saw this thread, I knew my answer was the Philippines.  It just refuses to come to mind.  Perhaps it's because I use the same grouping method when I'm answering quizzes.  Hadn't thought of that.

Maphead

Oct 24, 2012, 1:06:27 PM10/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Lebanon, Moldova, Malawi, Madagascar, any of the countries that just seem wedged in between others. And, Madagascar. Hmm.

Ellix

Oct 24, 2012, 10:32:14 PM10/24/12
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
From recent memory, countries that are more easily lost in the fray are: Tuvalu, Samoa, Czech Republic, Armenia, Cyprus, Kosovo, Cape Verde.

According to Sporcle stats, my most missed are: Afghanistan, The Gambia, Thailand, Australia, Dominica, Uganda, Lesotho, Canada

This greatly confuses me, since I'm pretty sure most of the countries on that list are ones that I've *never* missed.

Fusty

Jul 30, 2013, 10:47:27 AM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Was searching for a thread like this! Malawi, North Korea, South Korea and Japan (those 3 because of the way I do it, through central Asia, to south and then out into southeast.)

Caramba

Jul 30, 2013, 11:51:47 AM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

Seychelles. Also, because it's not in the same order as the stamp catalogs, "Republic of the Congo" if I'm doing an alphabetical quiz. Everywhere else just calls them both Congo.

iglew

Jul 30, 2013, 1:28:22 PM7/30/13
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 8:51:47 AM UTC-7, Caramba wrote:

Seychelles. Also, because it's not in the same order as the stamp catalogs, "Republic of the Congo" if I'm doing an alphabetical quiz. Everywhere else just calls them both Congo.

Everywhere else makes more sense.  I've never cared for the Sporcle convention on Congos.  Normally it makes no difference, but if they quiz requires them to be alphabetical or refers to what letter they start with, then it's silly that "Republic of the Congo" starts with R.

Esvadude

Jul 30, 2013, 1:42:12 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Guinea. Not Equatorial Guinea, not Guinea-Bissau, but stupid little Guinea.

puckett86

Jul 30, 2013, 1:56:21 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
How can you forget Guinea but not Guinea-Bissau? Wouldn't you get Guinea just by trying to type Guinea-Bissau?

beforever

Jul 30, 2013, 2:24:21 PM7/30/13
On Tuesday, July 30, 2013 6:56:21 PM UTC+1, puckett86 wrote:
How can you forget Guinea but not Guinea-Bissau? Wouldn't you get Guinea just by trying to type Guinea-Bissau?

^Hah!

Back when I was still learning them in 2009, I used to always forget Taiwan, Suriname, Belize, Jordan and The Gambia... mainly due to issues with remembering the particular order I chose to go through them in. Suriname and Taiwan tripped my up the most.

Spacemaniac

Jul 30, 2013, 2:29:43 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I always forget Sierra Leone!

Sent from my iPhone
Message has been deleted

Esvadude

Jul 30, 2013, 3:11:03 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Hm, that's a very good point puckett86. You have discovered my web of lies.

Rackie

Jul 30, 2013, 4:24:02 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Kenya, I always forget Kenya for some reason.

Daniel Hodgson

Jul 30, 2013, 4:56:25 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com

One time, before I had ever gotten a perfect, I gottem all except Mozambique. If that wasn't bad enough, the try right after, I forgot only South Africa. That really sucked.

On Jul 30, 2013 4:24 PM, "Rackie" <rac...@symphony-rats.co.uk> wrote:
Kenya, I always forget Kenya for some reason.

naqwerty3

Jul 30, 2013, 5:49:04 PM7/30/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I have a history with missing a few countries. Sometimes I'll get some but miss the others. My top five would probably be:
1. São Tomé and Principe
2. Georgia
3. Serbia
4. Spain (Sporclitis)
5. Greece/Philippines

zaphenath

Aug 2, 2013, 8:23:29 PM8/2/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Greenland.  Oh, wait . . .

brocko

Aug 5, 2013, 7:31:41 PM8/5/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Belize, Azerbaijan, Tuvalu.

I find once I've visited a country then I never forget it... It would be quite interesting to find out which countries all us Sporclers have actually visited. I mean, we type them out often enough... Needless to say I have never been to any of the above 3 countries...

Happydude Hemmings

Aug 6, 2013, 6:44:04 PM8/6/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Pakistan. I just don't group it with the stans and then miss it.

Usmcfunkymunky

Oct 26, 2013, 10:30:27 AM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I always forget Montenegro.

Aurora Illumina

Oct 26, 2013, 10:47:42 AM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I really have no idea why... but Chad always comes to me late. It's not like the rest of Africa escapes me, it's just that one country that's usually one of the last ones I think about.

TheCleverone

Oct 26, 2013, 12:39:25 PM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Switzerland. I don't know why, but Switzerland. Or once the UK, which is shambolic, considering that I am British!

Ulkomaalainen

Oct 26, 2013, 2:16:04 PM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Apart from when I forget part of my mental path of going from one place to another - it's the Philippines here, too. But even worse are any US cities quizzes and Charlotte.

Bombay Sapphire

Oct 26, 2013, 8:00:29 PM10/26/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Saint Lucia seems to be my stumbling block… probably because it's not Saint (something) and (something else).

RedBengalTiger (Funnyfavorer101)

Oct 28, 2013, 12:38:42 AM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I always forget Turkmenistan. I know it should be firmly hammered into my brain by now, being a -stan and all, but somehow or other, I never seem to remember it.

Spacemaniac

Oct 28, 2013, 12:51:35 AM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
If I may change mine, It seems that now I always forget... Ecuador!

I've had so many facepalms over it.

On Oct 28, 2013, at 6:38, "RedBengalTiger (Funnyfavorer101)" <silver...@gmail.com> wrote:

I always forget Turkmenistan. I know it should be firmly hammered into my brain by now, being a -stan and all, but somehow or other, I never seem to remember it.

zaphenath

Oct 28, 2013, 10:52:06 AM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Florin.

Or Bialya.

Droxnar

Oct 28, 2013, 1:40:41 PM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Me: (counting off) Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Kiribati, Palau...um...um...frelling hell, what am I forgetting?

Nauru. Every. Single. Time.

Hullabaloo

Oct 28, 2013, 2:24:08 PM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
It's never the same country, but more often than not it's a glaringly obvious country. Particularly in the Countries of the World quiz. I guess I focus on trying to make sure I have all the smaller/obscure island nations that I neglect to think of other ones. I remember missing the likes of Pakistan, Greece, Ukraine in the past.

Mic747

Oct 28, 2013, 2:39:19 PM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
For me it's Denmark, especially due to Dreenland, which causes it's inclusion in a lot of quizzes. I usually tick off the European islands, then go Scandinavia (NSF) russia and then down from baltics to balkan., picking up Western-europe later, but forgetting Denmark.
But I also remember getting 196/197 on countries of the world and being unable to figure out the last. It turned out to be China. My head ached for the rest of the day.

Mic747

Oct 28, 2013, 2:40:08 PM10/28/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
I mean Greenland of course, oops.

solyaris

Oct 29, 2013, 9:48:56 AM10/29/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
For me it's usually Bangladesh. Probably it's because my mind can't find a regional category for it. I tend to go from the Hinduist countries (India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan) to the Asian Southeast. I can't fit Bangladesh in either, since it's a Muslim country but separated from the Muslim part of Southeast Asia (Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei). If it kept its original name of East Pakistan then I could fit it with the -stans, but now there's no solid geo-cultural bond with those countries.

KansasJayhawk

Nov 1, 2013, 1:27:34 PM11/1/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
Peru and Saudi Arabia for me.

mxc_takeshi

Nov 3, 2013, 3:41:50 PM11/3/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
One I DON'T forget is Kyrgyzstan. ;)

I can recall forgetting Croatia several times; the Balkans were tricky for me.

hellofromUK

Nov 4, 2013, 10:07:54 AM11/4/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
There are known knowns; there are countries we know that we know.
There are known unknowns; that is to say, there are countries that we now know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns – there are countries we do not know we don't know.

iglew

Nov 4, 2013, 2:54:55 PM11/4/13
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
The unremembered Country, whose name
No Sporcler recalls, Puzzles the will,
And makes us rather name those lands we know,
Than try for others that we know not of.

aussiejess

Jan 19, 2014, 3:30:01 AM1/19/14
to sporcle-u...@googlegroups.com
This is referring to ALL geography quizzes, by the way. Not just the Countries of the World quiz.

But I always seem to miss the likes of Singapore, United Arab Emirates, Dominica, Dominican Republic.

For a time I kept forgetting St Lucia. I remember it now because there is an electronica band with that name, and I like their music haha...